Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too harsh???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

My son is 8.5 and in 2nd grade.  aa little background! he is a good kid! never a problem in school or anything. However, when he gets on playground equipment that spins 9 out of 10 times he over does it and ends up puking. It has happened 5 or 6 times in the past couple years. 

Ok, so we were at a dinner party the other night. The kids were downstairs playing and there was a swing hung from the ceiling. I told him be careful on that I don't want you to barf. An hour later what happened? You guessed it, he threw up all over himself. It was the first time I had been to this persons house, she was really gracious about it. Gave him one of her son's shirts. We cleaned him up (luckily it was mostly only on himself). And promptly went home. When we got home we had another talk about how some bodies can't handle certain things and his can't handle spinning, he know this but we re emphasized it. Then I made him clean out his barfy clothes in the toilet and put them in the washer. Dh thinks it was harsh to make him clean up his own barf. I think he is old enough to take responsibility for his actions and maybe he will remember his limits next time. He whined a little about cleaning it but he wasn't gagging or anything. So do you think it was too harsh to make him clean up his own mess??

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

um, I don't think I would have done that... but I can see how you are trying to teach him a lesson. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

BUMP!

supercarp
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

No. He needs to learn cause and effect.

Flouncy
by Cat Herder on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I wouldn't have done it personally but I can see where you're coming from with that. I mean, you did warn him and it is a known problem.
abecee
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yes

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You made him wash a shirt in the TOILET?  Like stick his hands in the toilet water?  Fucking gross, I wouldn't do that let alone make a kid do it.

I think it was absolutely fine to have him help clean up the mess, but washing a shirt in a toilet?  I'd throw the shirt away.

withsecond
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I don't think it was too harsh. You've warned him and he continues to not listen, he should have to clean it up.
MamaCat1121
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I think you did fine. You didn't yell or anything but he's doing this to himself...he's not sick. He needs to understand what his actions are going to do to him if he's not careful.

I would put him on time out though next time instead of letting it happen....on one hand he needs to learn and understand yes but at the same time if your in a public place make him sit down if you see it happening. All in all your not in the wrong...he just has a sensitive belly :( hope he does better from now on

katrina.0822

I agree with it, like the other mom said. Cause and affect.

Nika87
I don't think there's anything wrong with him cleaning up behind himself.....but I'm slightly disturbed that you made him clean off his shirt in the toilet, I mean I get that its barf and it stinks and can clogged your sink but the toilet is so dirty!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)