Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Big gift for dd but not dss

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies
My dd 12 is getting a laptop from my dad and his wife, my aunt and uncle are also helping with the cost. Her birthday was today dec. 18th, so her laptop is her birthday/ Christmas gift from them.
My Dh and have been talking about it and we can't afford to buy dss one. Our limit is $100 per kid. I feel bad but then again I don't because we aren't the ones who got the laptop for dd. Dss is spending Christmas with us and that's when dd will open her laptop. Should I feel so bad?
I
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChewyBrownies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM
I would feel bad but i would explain the situation to him
PeppermintyTea
by Emerald Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM
2 moms liked this
If she's 12 I'd just give it to her early, and tell her it's from the family members you mentioned for her birthday/Christmas.
pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I would feel bad my daughter doesn't get a special day.
KawaiiPika
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:44 AM
It's not his gift. He can't get everything she does
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:46 AM
I would feel bad but its life
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM

its from other people than yourself.   Is step son the same age?  He should understand that others are combining her bday and christmas together whereas he gets those separate times of year.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM
We are in a similar situation.

DS1 and DD both got huge birthday bashes worth maybe $400 by time all was said and done. DS2 didnt. He couldnt decide what he wanted so we only did a birthday dinner and very small gift.

DS2 is getting a laptop for his birthday/christmas and the others have a $150 limit. Luckily, ours are all old enough to understand.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this

No, that is not okay. If he is going to be with you on Christmas morning, she can't be getting fabulous gifts and he not. Your parents and family need to treat them equally. What are they giving him?  Nothing? This isn't at all fair. Would you want your daughter to be treated so unequally if the situation is reversed? The only fair soution I can think of is to have your daughter open this gift now, as a birthday present.and have equality for both on Christmas morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM
He is turning 16 in the spring, we may get him one then. But our issue with getting him something like that is his mom and her bf will hock his stuff. We've gotten him a iPod and that's gone, ds gone. Even his golf clubs they sold. He doesn't visit very much and we could keep it at our place but then he would never use it....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)