Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should sex offenders allowed in schools?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
We were informed at a volunteer meeting that if a parent was registered as a sex offender he or she could not be banned from the school and has the same rights as other parents to come to conferences and school programs. I was genuinely surprised because sex offenders aren't supposed to be allowed within so many feet of schools and parks so why would they be allowed inside the school?

EDIT*** since people feel the need to keep posting, I fully understand that there are different levels of offense and that not ball RSOs are pedophiles. I am not concerned with a person who slept with his 16 year old girlfriend when he was 18. I thought it would be obvious what type of offender I was concerned about.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

well, I'm sure if the parent is a registered sex offender there's a special proclamation and meeting at the school and they have to follow a different set of guidelines and requirements than normal parents.

I don't know for sure, but it's common sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
There was no mention of that at all, even after several parents voiced strong opinions.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

well, I'm sure if the parent is a registered sex offender there's a special proclamation and meeting at the school and they have to follow a different set of guidelines and requirements than normal parents.

I don't know for sure, but it's common sense.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

If you're really concerned about it, stop by your school office today and ask to speak to someone who can give you more information about how this is being handled.

Quoting Anonymous: There was no mention of that at all, even after several parents voiced strong opinions.

AVE SATANAS!
JayTee80
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Are the conferences done before or after school hours?  You would have to look at the restrictions on leveled sex offenders in your state to see if he could legally be prevented from attending. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Someone asked at the meeting and all I heard was that they still had rights as parents. I was planning to talk to admin one on one but figured I would get some opinions here. Its a slow day LOL.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

If you're really concerned about it, stop by your school office today and ask to speak to someone who can give you more information about how this is being handled.

Quoting Anonymous: There was no mention of that at all, even after several parents voiced strong opinions.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

lol, true and it is good MC fodder, indeed.

I'm sure you'll get some answers when you get that meeting with an administrator and hopefully they'll be ones you want to hear. If not, I'd write my congressman and ask WTFFFFFF BRO??!!

Quoting Anonymous: Someone asked at the meeting and all I heard was that they still had rights as parents. I was planning to talk to admin one on one but figured I would get some opinions here. Its a slow day LOL.

AVE SATANAS!
withsecond
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Well, that doesn't seem okay.
MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

If you've determined for sure that they don't  have the necessary security measures in place whenever/whereever this parent is allowed,    you should raise a public stink over it.    You elect the school board so go after them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21122783/#.UrRhtvRDuuk

This is from 2007 so some of the information might be outdated, but apparently there are some laws that can allow sex offenders on school property at certain times. 

I would look into a parent's sex offense before automatically getting up in arms. A man who had sex with his slightly underage girlfriend several years ago isn't a danger to children but he is considered a sex offender. 

isaacsmommy68
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You can call your county sheriff department. Ask for information. They would be the ones who enforce it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)