Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are colleges requiring this now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

I was attempting to finish my degree after taking a few years off until my daughter started school herself. I don't find myself to be stupid or unintelligent but math has always been a weakness of mine. I just do not understand it, I struggled all through high school and only made it through algebra 1. In college I had to take it over again and I ended up failing it. I've never failed a class before or even had below a C so I was extremely upset and disappointed in myself. I tried so hard and worked with a tutor several times a week but it just didn't work for me. My brain literally cannot comprehend higher levels of math. I'm actually really good with basic math though. 

But anyways. Just getting through that was going to be a huge struggle. Now the college I'm attending is requiring ALL degree programs to complete Calculus! That means I have to pass algebra 1,2, trig and calc 1! I can't even get through algebra 1 with a tutor! My degree has nothing to even do with calculus! I'm going for Economics. But it doesn't matter your degree program, even if it's liberal arts, English or History  they are requiring it.

Things weren't like this just a few years ago... What the heck is going on? I guess if your not able to pass math you aren't worthy of a degree. It's just very disheartening, I have other strong points and I enjoy learning. Looks like for now I won't be able to complete the requirements. :(

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

My University doesn't require Calculus but they required Statistics for all degrees.

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
11 moms liked this
Did you really just say econ has nothing to do with math at all?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk this is why I keep putting off college I'm not good at math and struggle with anxiety/panic enough.

My thing is if you don't need it for your major it shouldn't be a requirement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

They want more money

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Did you really just say econ has nothing to do with math at all?
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Maybe it varies from school to school. I feel your pain though; I am a pretty intelligent person, and always did really well in school. Except for math. It's always been a weakness of mine...I just can't wrap my head around it. When I was in high school I was in all the advanced classes - except for math, where I was in the remedial class. And it wasn't for lack of trying. I tried really hard to get it, it just never clicked for me. So I get where you're coming from. It's frustrating.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Did you really just say econ has nothing to do with math at all?

Sorry I meant to say calculus. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Quoting nerdymom28:

Maybe it varies from school to school. I feel your pain though; I am a pretty intelligent person, and always did really well in school. Except for math. It's always been a weakness of mine...I just can't wrap my head around it. When I was in high school I was in all the advanced classes - except for math, where I was in the remedial class. And it wasn't for lack of trying. I tried really hard to get it, it just never clicked for me. So I get where you're coming from. It's frustrating.

Same here exactly! I have always wished I was good at it. I have always been opened to learning it as well. I actually enjoy basic math.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this
http://classroom.synonym.com/calculus-used-economics-2776.html
please research your major

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry I meant to say calculus. 

lillettemomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I was in college about 10 years ago and the school I was in required a bunch of unrelated courses like health and wellness (basically equivalent to gym and health in highschool) and atleast up thru algebra in math.....Also basic English and some lit.... I asked about it and was told so many students were being graduated from hs without these basic concepts down
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)