Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

THIS is why I don't give homeless people $

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

There is a street off of the highway that almost always has a homeless person with a sign asking for money, work, or the like.  I usually do not give $ but if I have food/snacks in the car (usually for my kids) I will give them what I have.  Well I should have known that if this asshole could afford hair gel he really did not need a damn thing from me... but I offered him a can of soup (my lunch) and a bag of chips.  He just waived me away... It really got under my skin.

On a nicer note... at this same street corner about a year ago I had my (then) 2 year old in the back seet.  I had a ton of fruit I was bringing to my Mom's house for a party but didn't feel like I had enough to share (God forbid my fruit salad be short strawberries).  I was avidly trying to avoid eye contact with a man holding a sign because I didn't think I had anything to spare.  I look at my DD in the back seet and she is waiving like crazy to this guy.  Huge smile on her face.  The guy (looking all rough and tumble) couldn't help but smile.  And eventually he even waived back.  I felt like a jerk... so he got a big box of strawberries and a box of blackberries.  My DD reminded me to be a better person.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

That is on them. Once you give it, you will reap the rewards, karma, whatever. He has his own demons to fight.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I always offer food. They usually appreciate it with lots of thanks. But there are abusers of every situation.
angiejones256
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
That was a great ending. Kids always bring out the good in ppl thanks for sharing :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

There's been several articles about panhandlers making a TON of money doing it. Upwards of 90k a year. 

It makes it difficult to donate knowing that you're not really helping someone in need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

True story

Quoting laranadtony:

That is on them. Once you give it, you will reap the rewards, karma, whatever. He has his own demons to fight.

elfling811
by Niki on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I never offer money, but I will go buy them lunch and bring it back to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I can't blame you. If someone does that the most I offer is to buy them something myself. Too many druggies and bums who go around doing it daily.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I figure if I give them food I know I'm helping... and not just a bad habit. I'd rather make donations to a local shelter that I know will help these folks.

Quoting Anonymous:

There's been several articles about panhandlers making a TON of money doing it. Upwards of 90k a year. 

It makes it difficult to donate knowing that you're not really helping someone in need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Yeah, that's sorta what I was getting at.

So many refuse food or anything but cash. It's sad.

Quoting Anonymous:

I figure if I give them food I know I'm helping... and not just a bad habit. I'd rather make donations to a local shelter that I know will help these folks.

Quoting Anonymous:

SylviaNCali
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I always avoid giving to street bums. Even though you never know who is really being helped in the food shelters, there is a higher chance more people will be served than giving a few bucks to one person on the streets.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)