Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have to see a doctor when pregnant?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Is it possible to go an entire pregnancy without ever seeing a doctor? Can you get into trouble for it? A friend of mine is pregnant but she doesn't want to see a doctor because she is embarrassed about her weight and thinks she will be the only overweight pregnant woman. She thinks the doctor will laugh at her. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaCat1121
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Please tell me this isn't a serious question?

You don't HAVE To do anything. You go to make sure your child and yourself are safe and kept healthy. Who cares what she weighs...she should be more concerned about the health of that child. If the doc laughs at her (which they won't) then change doctors not like she's tied to that doc for the rest of her life....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I am pretty sure no one can force her to see a doctor.  But if something does go wrong that could have been prevented had she been receiving a doctors care I am pretty sure she can be held responsible.

reche1978
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think that is safe.  Your friend is a dumbass she should be more worried about her baby and less worried about being fat

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM

o.O

So,she thinks fat people don't have babies like,every day?

You need smarter friends.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
She should see a dr or midwife. There are all.women practices. I have seen many shapes and sizes while in the waiting rm.
I'd hate for this to hold her back from getting prenatal care.
AshCH
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I mean its not illegal to not see a dr but its a good idea to be sure the baby is growing properly.
If she's going to be a mother she needs to stop being selfish and get a little prenatal care no dr or midwife would laugh at her!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

No one is going to be there to physically force your friend to go to the doctor.  People sometimes choose to do an unassisted pregnancy, which basically means they go through the whole pregnancy without any professional medical attention and choose to do the weight and blood pressure checks themselves.  I think thats completely insane and very dangerous, but people do it.  If you give birth without medical help (and people do that too) and something goes wrong, it's possible that CPS could be invovled for medical neglect.  So the short answer is yes, but your friend will likely suffer consequences, even severe ones -- both medically and socially.  It's best to just suck it up.  The doctor won't laugh at her.   Being overweight can increase the risk of dangerous complications during pregnancy, so it's essentia she gets to a medical professional as soon as she can. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM
She doesn't have to do anything. Women who do unassisted childbirth often don't ever go to the doctor. What does she plan to do when she goes into labor
MamaTinie
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM
She needs to, she can run into issues with being overweight. Heck I'm 250lbs and no Drs laughed still don't.
I have a friend who went to the Dr during hers she started at around 275 and went up.
Nobody will laugh at her and nobody will make fun of her. Dr just wants to be sure mom and baby are both healthy for the birth.
she won't get into trouble for not going but it would be best if she did. Maybe you can offer to go with? She is allowed to have whoever she wants with her in the office
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM
its not the best idea. it could possibly be very dangerous. can she be prosocuted for it? no. when i wwas 16 i got pregnant and didnt see a dr my whole pregnancy...i was scared they would have to tell my parents. it wasnt smart and could have been very dangerous for baby and me. luckily she was perfectly healthy. however, i was healthy prior to getting pregnant. your friend has some risk factors already such as being over weight. if something happened to her child, she would feel immense guilt. but legally...can she get in trouble..no.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN