Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Phil Robertson = Rosa Parks?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 87 Replies
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-congressional-candidate-compares-duck-dynasty-star-to-rosa-parks

Someone make it clicky, please? I'm mobile.

I really can't come up with anything to say about this. Maybe I could, if I could get my jaw off the floor.

You?
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I just...yea.

ETA:

A man who said black people didn't have it bad during Jim Crow is being compared to a champion of civil rights. SMH I can't wrap my head around this.

Anniversary
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Thank you for the clicky!
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Robertson has been in national headlines lately for ranting about the "sin" of homosexuality in an interview with GQ. In that same interview Robertson also discussed the welfare of African Americans during the era of Jim Crow. He said that during that time blacks were carefree and essentially didn't experience any mistreatment.

"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians," Bayne wrote in the email. "What Parks did was courageous."

Bayne added in the email that "what Robertson did was courageous too."

Here is what Robertson said in the GQ interview: 

I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Exactly! I'm just dumbfounded by it. Literally nothing to say!

Quoting RMB2011:

I just...yea.

ETA:

A man who said black people didn't have it bad during Jim Crow is being compared to a champion of civil rights. SMH I can't wrap my head around this.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This is too much for me.

Quoting DusterMommy: Exactly! I'm just dumbfounded by it. Literally nothing to say!

Quoting RMB2011:

I just...yea.

ETA:

Anniversary
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Gimme a break!
purple_panda
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting RMB2011:

I just...yea.

ETA:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I liked the article and agree but really have no want to argue or debate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
He's right in what he said.. Edit: not something I'm going to debate over. Just my opinion. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)