Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

did your parents do drugs

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Does anyone have any stories of being a child growing up with parents addicted to drugs?

What kind and what happened?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

No, unless you count marijuana on and off (like they would go years without it then do it occasionally then stop for years again, or rarely do it) which had no negative effect on me what so ever. Or them as far as how they were as parents.

I grew up with a friend who had a meth addicted parent but she didn't live with him. It really hurt her though because he was so wrapped up in meth he neglected her, would make empty promises to see her and things like that. It consumed his whole life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Let's just say that growing up, my cousin and I always rolled our dollar bills whenever we had money.

...because that's how we thought you were supposed to keep them.

As adults (well, teens when we figured it out) we were like, HOLY SHIT! That explains A LOT.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yes, my mother is  currently addicted to meth. When I was younger it was coke. My father is an alcoholic and smokes pot. As a child I saw what it did to them and started hiding their drugs because I didn't like them. My mom slowly lost her mind, she went from a loving caring person to a shriveled up shell haunted by voices and bugs. I no longer talk to her because she thinks "they" (the voices) will get me and my daughter and peel our skin off then burn us so by not contacting us she is protecting us in her mind I suppose.

When I was Young my dad grew pot in our closet and told us that although it is illegal it isn't bad but we shouldn't tell anyone about it. I guess it must have slipped out of one of us because the cops came and confiscated the plants and said they would take us from our parents if this happened again.

When I was a teen and living with my mom at the time we were homeless but luckily we did have a Volkswagen van, I would shower at the beach as soon as the sun hit the horizon to avoid prying eyes, there was no hot water but I didn't want to stink at school so I did it anyway. At that time my mother already stopped caring about us so she would ditch me sometimes and I would sleep at the bus stop or the beach. I was lucky I know a lot of people because I found a way to get free food, but I also became good at evading security cameras.

There is a lot more but I am tired and hate thinking about it. The only thing I ever wanted was stability and a drug free family. I am straight edge and I think it's because of seeing what drugs do to a person.

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM
My dad drank...ALOT. Both my parents smoked pot. My dad told me a few years they dabbled in cocaine but it wasn't a regular thing.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Yes. My Dad smoked weed with me as a child, then graduated to crack. He gave me my first crack hoot at 11. I got clean at 16 but he continued to use. He claims he's clean now but who knows. He lives 8 hours away. I had to move away from him for my sobriety.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM
They would stay up all night and would see things. They usually were screaming, cussing and hitting us because they thought we were someone else. My mom called the cops repeatly and accused me of molestation. She tried stabbing me with a kitchen knife. My siblings and I tried to not be home.

Quoting Anonymous: What kind of things happened?

Quoting Anonymous: Yes. Meth and coke was their choice. We went through hell dealing with their trips, it was so scary. Supposedly they quit a few months ago but had to pick up alcohol in replacement for pain. Theyre 48 & 50.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Thank you for sharing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, my mother is  currently addicted to meth. When I was younger it was coke. My father is an alcoholic and smokes pot. As a child I saw what it did to them and started hiding their drugs because I didn't like them. My mom slowly lost her mind, she went from a loving caring person to a shriveled up shell haunted by voices and bugs. I no longer talk to her because she thinks "they" (the voices) will get me and my daughter and peel our skin off then burn us so by not contacting us she is protecting us in her mind I suppose. When I was Young my dad grew pot in our closet and told us that although it is illegal it isn't bad but we shouldn't tell anyone about it. I guess it must have slipped out of one of us because the cops came and confiscated the plants and said they would take us from our parents if this happened again. When I was a teen and living with my mom at the time we were homeless but luckily we did have a Volkswagen van, I would shower at the beach as soon as the sun hit the horizon to avoid prying eyes, there was no hot water but I didn't want to stink at school so I did it anyway. At that time my mother already stopped caring about us so she would ditch me sometimes and I would sleep at the bus stop or the beach. I was lucky I know a lot of people because I found a way to get free food, but I also became good at evading security cameras. There is a lot more but I am tired and hate thinking about it. The only thing I ever wanted was stability and a drug free family. I am straight edge and I think it's because of seeing what drugs do to a person.

-Chunky-Monkey-
by ***LeeCee*** on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM

No

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM
very scary
Are they still the same way today?

Quoting Anonymous: They would stay up all night and would see things. They usually were screaming, cussing and hitting us because they thought we were someone else. My mom called the cops repeatly and accused me of molestation. She tried stabbing me with a kitchen knife. My siblings and I tried to not be home.

Quoting Anonymous: What kind of things happened?

Quoting Anonymous: Yes. Meth and coke was their choice. We went through hell dealing with their trips, it was so scary. Supposedly they quit a few months ago but had to pick up alcohol in replacement for pain. Theyre 48 & 50.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Yes. Heavily. After my Dad died my Mom's drug addiction increased dramatically. It got so bad that she moved us to the opposite side of the country, with really no plan and leaving what little family we had behind, just to get away from it all. She has always told me that she would have died if she wouldn't have taken off like that and that I would have ended up in state custody because there was no one to take me. Her drug use still continued after the move but she wasn't quite as out of control. Her main drug of choice was cocaine. She eventually got clean, for roughly 10 years (other than drinking daily but no drugs & she never gets drunk). But it didn't last. For the last 8 or so she's been using again, and it's definitely changed her mentally and is causing physical/mental damage. Only this time her drug of choice is pills. A few different pills.

There is way too much to type about how her and my step-dad's drug use affected me to even beginto get into but I will tell one part of it. Roughly 6.5 years ago my Mom started me on a pill addiction too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming her for my addiction. I should have known better. But she will deny to any and everyone that she's ever given me pills or put me in some of the messed up positions she has, because of pills. Ans although I don't blame her I must admit that it's still hurts me that my Mom is the person who started my pill abuse. I personally would NEVER give my daughter pills like that, especially after seeing the addiction take hold. I just wouldn't/couldn't do that to my child.

Oh, one more. 3 years ago, after I got my tax return, I was finally able to escape an abusive relationship. I had about $3,000. I initially stayed at my Mom's while I found a place of ny own. I found a place 3 weeks later. The day I was moving my stuff out of her house I go to get my money ans it's gone. SHE TOOK ALL THAT MONEY FROM ME, THE ONLY MONEY I HAD TO SUPPORT ME & DD UNTIL I COULD FIND A JOB. I had never been that hurt and devastated in my entire life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)