Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are poor and your kids get how many gifts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 300 Replies
1 mom liked this
A person I know crys the blues about being poor, is on "the system", and her kids are each getting 20 gifts for Christmas!
Say what?

Idk to each his own I guess, but wouldn't that money be spent better on food?

My kids are getting 5 a piece ... And I'm sure they will be grateful.

^update*
So the answer to many of you is.... There are 2 kids, 20 a piece not including gifts from other family. The gifts are not dollar store gifts, they are furbys, Xbox , etc.
no I'm not jealous.... I was a single poor mom too, but instead of wasting my money on frivolous toys I made sure my child was fed healthy food, without the use of fs, which I could of obtained.
I would never want to teach my child that that behavior is ok, it's not! It's entitlement.
And as far as getting them through a "system" like toys for toys, if they are giving one family 40 gifts..... There's a bigger issue at hand.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:45 AM
2 moms liked this
What kind of gifts? Who have it to her? But I sorta agree. I know someone who collects every single charity she can and doesn't work. It pisses me the fuck off and I have been on PA!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM
4 moms liked this
my kids get alot at christmas. we struggle and are on FS. however most is sent by their grandparents, aand my sister who is well off financially her kids get alot too from their grandparents. we both live far aay from extended family so thats the grandprents way of spoiling them since thy dont see them often. without that though, my kids got 3 gifts each, (toys) and 3 outifts, 1 pair of shoes and a set of new pjs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:54 AM

guess it depends on what the gifts are.... we got our kids the xbox one, ipads and bought a couple snow mobiles.... guess it depends on what the gifts are?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:54 AM
1 mom liked this
im so glad our area has a database that tracks that. i hve never used christmas chairity like angle tree or toys for tots but i have in the past used utility help and they have this database your info goes into so you cant use more than a chairity more than 1 time in a 6 month time frame. im sure ppl still find ways to abuse but i bet it cutsit down alot

Quoting LaughCryLive: What kind of gifts? Who have it to her? But I sorta agree. I know someone who collects every single charity she can and doesn't work. It pisses me the fuck off and I have been on PA!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:56 AM
16 moms liked this
My kids are getting quite a bit for Christmas. All three got adopted by an angel tree. I signed up for that back in October. Then in the last week I received two surprise boxes, one from someone I don't know at all. Both were packed with gifts for my children.

However, because they have SO much, we are actually passing some gifts along to another kiddo that won't have much of a Christmas. :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM
4 moms liked this
MYOB
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM
3 moms liked this
If she makes it my business by telling me, then I may disagree.

Quoting Anonymous: MYOB
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM
4 moms liked this

When my son was very little, I was a struggling single mom and I was completely broke all year long. But when it came to Christmas, I never wanted him to feel like he got less than any other kid. I wanted him to wake up Christmas morning and have the best day ever! Every other day of the year sucked, whether he knew it or not, but on this day,,,we were rich(at least in his eyes)! 

I never abused the system, just to be clear. I used layaway,credit cards, paycheck loans, whatever it took...to,make it happen:-)

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this
When I was poor my kids received 1 or 2 from me. I never signed up for toys since I could get them something. I just made their gift count. Something inexpensive but very cool. I used lay away. I never made Christmas about the gifts. My fondest memories was putting up the tree with mt Dad. I remember very few of my gifts. I am no longer poor and my kids don't receive more than 1 or 2 for each holiday. I prefer to spread out gifts through out the year.
xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
13 moms liked this
My kids will be having a great Christmas and we are very poor. I sold things we didn't need anymore to buy their presents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN