Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DD is spending x-mas with her boyfriend and his family instead of us

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

and I can't help but feel sad. It is going to be the first year that we are not all together. I mean I knew it was going to happen eventually that they would not always be her for christmas but I still can't help but feel sad. His family lives two states over so they are driving there to see them. Last year they were with us so I know it is only fair but I am still sad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Hugs momma. We just moved to a different state. It will be the first time in 36 years I haven't spent Xmas with my family. I will be going up to see them the day after Xmas for a few days though.

To make it harder, my 16 yr old son decided he wanted to spend Xmas with his father, so it is the first year that I won't have him either for at least some of the day. I totally understand, we moved 300 miles away from his dad and he wants to spend time with him, but I will miss him just the same. :(
sunnysideup89
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Watch twelve christmases that should make you feel better. Hugs.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Will they come and spend the weekend between Christmas and New Year's with you at least?

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Start a christmas eve family dinner? We see my family Christmas eve (its the huge whole family 60 people in one home get together) and then everyone could spend the day of with their own family in the morning and visit the other side of the family that night etc.

Our current plans are drive from NH down to Charlestown Christmas eve, drive back home, get kidsinto bed without hopefully waking them, set everything up and hopefully pull off the santa thing, eat a quick breakfast in the morning after doing things here and jump back in the car and drive to Mass again to visit DH family and probably spend almost all day there. Lots of go go go for us :)

xcrystal88
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

thats what happens when they get older tho :( i moved a few states away from my family and ive only spent one christmas with them in the past 5 years... im sure shes just as sad that shes not there with you as you are!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Happens in every family, you'll get used to the every other year thing.  I'm sure you have other family members you'll be able to enjoy Christmas with? Make the most of that instead of being all sad your daughter is away & really, its not like she'll be away forever mama.  

Karen_29
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

We went through that with my parents and in laws for a few years before we came to an arrangement everyone was happy with. I am sorry you are sad!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Whatever you do, don't become my MIL.  She thinks she does not have to share with in-laws ever, even on the holidays.  She makes every holiday miserable and won't even think of trading off or even just understand that since we have to travel to see her that we can't drop everything this Christmas since it's in the middle of the week.  She's done this so much that one of her children almost never comes home anymore because she sick of her mother's nonsense.

Look at it this way, your daughter's boyfriend's mother probably felt last year like you do this year.  Maybe in the future, you all can come to some kind of compromise so she can still come home, if just for a day or so, even if not on the actual holiday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I am not mad or anything and I would never make her feel bad for doing what she has to do but I am sad. She isnt my baby anymore kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

Whatever you do, don't become my MIL.  She thinks she does not have to share with in-laws ever, even on the holidays.  She makes every holiday miserable and won't even think of trading off or even just understand that since we have to travel to see her that we can't drop everything this Christmas since it's in the middle of the week.  She's done this so much that one of her children almost never comes home anymore because she sick of her mother's nonsense.

Look at it this way, your daughter's boyfriend's mother probably felt last year like you do this year.  Maybe in the future, you all can come to some kind of compromise so she can still come home, if just for a day or so, even if not on the actual holiday.

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Is she an adult?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)