Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DD is spending x-mas with her boyfriend and his family instead of us

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

and I can't help but feel sad. It is going to be the first year that we are not all together. I mean I knew it was going to happen eventually that they would not always be her for christmas but I still can't help but feel sad. His family lives two states over so they are driving there to see them. Last year they were with us so I know it is only fair but I am still sad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Well they have been together for 3 years. They would probably be married or engaged by now but she doesnt believe in marriage so they may never get married

Quoting Anonymous: I think the big deal is it's just a boyfriend. He isn't family and she's neglecting her real family for him.

Quoting MamaK88:

OK...so she's spending December 25th at his family's house.  What's the big deal?  Do you Xmas with her on a different day.  

I'll never understand folks who can only celebrate holidays *on* the calendar day.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Shes spending pretty much the whole week there. 2 of my kids will only be here for xmas eve and xmas day so we wont be doing another christmas. 

Quoting MamaK88:

OK...so she's spending December 25th at his family's house.  What's the big deal?  Do you Xmas with her on a different day.  

I'll never understand folks who can only celebrate holidays *on* the calendar day.  

TexasGirl90
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM
We don't get my sd until the 27th, so my dad is putting off his whole christmas until that day :) we're celebrating the 27th just like its the 25th. Maybe y'all could too!
MamaK88
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

So do something in January.  I still don't see the big deal.  

Get over yourself...your daughter is a grown-up.  You should have been preparing for this for the last 19 years.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Shes spending pretty much the whole week there. 2 of my kids will only be here for xmas eve and xmas day so we wont be doing another christmas. 

Quoting MamaK88:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I am just a little sad....It isnt like I am freaking out or anything. It isnt like I didnt know it was going to happen just kind of sad that this is the first time we wont all be together

Quoting MamaK88:

So do something in January.  I still don't see the big deal.  

Get over yourself...your daughter is a grown-up.  You should have been preparing for this for the last 19 years.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamaK88:

withsecond
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Yea, I'm not looking forward to when my boys are adults and this happens.
courtseanryan
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Its hard when they get older and want to do their own thing :(  My kids have to go to their dad's every other year and my dd was at ex's last year for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. This year she was supposed to go to her bf's family but they broke up right before so she was with us. I hate when they aren't with me for holidays :(  My parents are gone so its even harder during the holidays

MidwestMama55
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

My feeling is that unless they are married, they spend Christmas with their own families. Once they are married, their family has expanded. At 19, there's no way i'd allow that.

MidwestMama55
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I'm sorry. That's so sad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well they have been together for 3 years. They would probably be married or engaged by now but she doesnt believe in marriage so they may never get married

Quoting Anonymous: I think the big deal is it's just a boyfriend. He isn't family and she's neglecting her real family for him.

Quoting MamaK88:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

"Allow"? She is a grown adult...They have been together for 3 years and friends for life. They would probably be married or at least engaged by now but my DD doesnt believe in marriage. 

Quoting MidwestMama55:

My feeling is that unless they are married, they spend Christmas with their own families. Once they are married, their family has expanded. At 19, there's no way i'd allow that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)