Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Living off the Grid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 191 Replies
7 moms liked this
Does anyone do it, know someone who is? Or interested in it?

Dh and I are looking into it, possibly in Alaska. We want to take the next 2 years and "practice" where we live now.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I've kinda wanted to do it. I used to fantasize about living on a commune. I just don't care anymore.
SexyBurlapSack
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

BF and I want to do it, but with a grid tie. With a grid tie, we can sell extra electricity from solar panels or whatnot to the power companies. Build it to where we can go completely off-grid if something happens to the main power grid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this
From what wr have been seeing in our research, living off the grid is very much like how the Amish live.

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

BF and I want to do it, but with a grid tie. With a grid tie, we can sell extra electricity from solar panels or whatnot to the power companies. Build it to where we can go completely off-grid if something happens to the main power grid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
5 moms liked this
DH and I have been talking about it a lot lately. Just tired of society and the government at this point
We live in Alaska.
SexyBurlapSack
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Not really. You can still have electricity from solar panels or wind turbines. 

Quoting Anonymous: From what wr have been seeing in our research, living off the grid is very much like how the Amish live.

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM
So you already live in Alaska? It should be easy for you to live off the grid then? Well not easy but you dont have to travel far?

Quoting Anonymous: DH and I have been talking about it a lot lately. Just tired of society and the government at this point

We live in Alaska.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I wouldn't want to ever go without internet. Its my own form of keeping in touch with my family whom I love very much. Other then that i would love it.  We have considered moving to Alaska. But in a city. 

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd love to. Hubby's not into that sort of thing, lol.

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
My dh wants to move to Alaska in the mountains. I think it would be fun but I'd still like to have inter net
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
You could still have internet

Quoting mom4awesomekids: My dh wants to move to Alaska in the mountains. I think it would be fun but I'd still like to have inter net
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN