Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dad says I'm cheap and he's mad over a stupid gift card

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 483 Replies
My dh and I aren't rich by any means but we're not poor either. We're doing pretty well for myself.

My parents have custody of my brother's 7 kids. They range from ages 2-14.

We bought the 2 yr old a small tool set for Christmas. (Technically it was free because I got one for my 2 yr old and they were buy one get one free)for the other 6 I have each of them 4 candy canes (different crazy flavored gum filled ones), a small Christmas notepad with stickers, a Christmas pen, (the note pads and pens came in packs of 8 at Walmart in the stocking stuffer aisle)and a 6 dollar gift card to dollar tree. I put it all in cute little gift bags. I even gave my 9 yr old a gift bag with the same thing.

There is something for everybody at dollar tree. I brought the bags over to my dad's today and told him what was inside and he had a fit. Told me that I should have got them something worth more. Like a 10 or 15 dollar gift card...to Walmart. Apparently Dollar Tree is below him.

I can't believe he's throwing such a fit. I know my dd will love it. She loves the arts and crafts stuff at Dollar Tree. What do you think? Is it a completely horrible gift? I think the kids will appreciate it even though my dad doesn't.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Bump
tnt1014
by Silver Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
32 moms liked this
I agree with you, your dad is being rude and ungrateful.

You could have given them nothing! with that many kids it adds up quickly. I'm sure the kids will love it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I love those kids but there's no way I would have gotten them a 15.00 gift card each. I just didn't have that much extra in our budget.

Quoting tnt1014: I agree with you, you're dad is being rude and ungrateful.

You could have given them nothing! with that many kids it adds up quickly. I'm sure the kids will love it.
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
11 moms liked this
He is probably stressed out. He has to buy 7 children presents for Christmas. I would just blow it off.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

My mom is always on. My case about how cheap I am. I cannot believe how much money she wastes!

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM
4 moms liked this

I think you dad sounds like a dick, sorry. 

Grnyann65
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I don't think it's a completely horrible gift. I swear to GOD, in all of my 18 years of childhood, I never got a gift from my Aunt and Uncle. Where does this all end? Will you have to buy for their children, too?
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You did good mama. Don't let him make you feel like you didn't. I'm sure those kids will be thrilled with their gifts  :)

Quoting Anonymous: I love those kids but there's no way I would have gotten them a 15.00 gift card each. I just didn't have that much extra in our budget.

Quoting tnt1014: I agree with you, you're dad is being rude and ungrateful.

bcoll
by Brandi on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I myself have seven children and it adds up fast. I encourage others to buy them smaller gifts, like a game or a box of chocolates to share. The lavishness and spoiling is MY job. I'm sorry mama, that you were made to feel bad.

strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM
17 moms liked this
You were being cheap your not poor!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)