Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother told me she didn't buy my son a gift.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 359 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last year, he was extremely overtired and cranky when we were opening presents. We had been at my in-law's all day, he couldn't sleep in the car, and by the time we got to my mom's house he was in a horrible mood. He was 5 then and is 6 now.

She gave him his present and it was a stuffed animal. I said "what do you say to Grandma?" and he said "I don't like it. I never like Grandma's presents". I told him to apologize and he refused, so we left and didn't bring the present. Before we left, she said "that's okay, I just won't get you any presents anymore". He said he didn't care. 

We were on the phone discussing Christmas plans and she told me she was sticking by what she said and didn't get him anything. So, he'll be sitting there empty handed as all of his cousins open presents from Grandma. I told her it was her choice, but it seemed petty. 

I'm dreading how upset he's going to be. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fatal_Frost
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
72 moms liked this
I would be appalled if my kids acted that way... I dont blame your mom a bit... perhaps this is a good teaching moment since you've dropped the ball at teaching gratitude

and I have 3 kids I've managed to raise as grateful so it IS possible
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
23 moms liked this

He was being an ungrateful brat. I don't give presents to ungrateful brats, and I don't blame your mom one bit. 

What's he going to be so upset about? You could always just remind him that he "never likes Grandma's presents". 

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
7 moms liked this

Because he was/is so young, I would give him another chance if I was in her shoes.  If he was older - I would say screw it and not buy him anything any more.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't blame your mom one bit...At 5 he knew should have known better regardless if he was tired or not...he was rude and disrespectful and even if he didn't apologise right then and there he should have the following day once he was calm
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I think it's appropriate. 5 is old enough not to say that.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have made him appologize the next day and maybe draw her a picture or something as an appology

moroccanmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Ekkkkk......straighten out your kid. My cousin kid is like that. He was given a birthday goodie bag and said it sucked. He is five. His parents thought it was funny. Kids Learn to be ungrateful . I'd be horrified if any of my kids ever did that.
Good for his grandma sticking to her guns.
Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM
12 moms liked this

You should have stepped-up and handled the situation a year ago. He should have made a special trip  to Grandma's  for him to apologise and make amends for his bratty behavior, I feel bad for him now but really it's on you that it got to this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

why waste her money if he's not going to like it 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmm. I'm with her. He wa 5, not 2. Maybe next time he won't act like such a little XXXX.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured