Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I bought DD 3 "big" presents :( is this excessive?

Posted by   + Show Post

By no means do I think the holidays are about presents. I firmly believe kids should get only ONE big present but I couldn't decide.. I got my dd a Minnie Mouse toddler bed(which she asked 4 and has been asking 4 for several mos and actually needs), a kitchen set and a cozy coupe car(to encourage imaginative play). Should I hold out until after the holidays and spread out her presents? I also bought her some small presents like doll accessories etc.

Edit: ok I asked other friends and family and they thought it was excessive which is why I posted this. The negative comments are mind blowing. I came here for advice and people are questioning my parenting. I guess this isn't the place to come for advice. I'll know better next time....

Edit: also the 1st time I posted this it didn't go through so I rewrote it and mistakenly left some info out about having a hard time deciding. Thanks to all the moms with kind words. No idea this post about my indecisiveness would generate so many responses!! Merry Christmas:)

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Replies (241-247):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Our friend had an "old" iPad they had laying around. Have it to xdh we gave it to ds. It was awesome :) so yes it was a big gift but was free so ds also got an electric scooter too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lee2362
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM

My thoughts exactly. No idea how anyone could judge someone's parenting based on my post. Her reasoning is the dumbest I've heard. Thx 4 pointing out her stupidity. ( didnt mention this in my previous response)

Quoting Anonymous: I think that is the worst reasoning I have ever heard for someone not to be a parent!!! Lol your hilarious!

Quoting Anonymous: Dude. If you can't make your own decision about presents and when to give them, then you aren't ready to be a parent, period.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I am so sorry about your daughter is she doing better this year? My daughter quit ice skating a couple of years ago but not because she had anything it was just starting to get weird where we went to. I hope she liked the Just Dance 2014 my daughter isn't into our Wii so much anymore.

That is so sweet that you are going through this with your daughter yet you think of doing this for another family. What a Christmas those people would have due to the generosity of someone else.

Merry Christmas!

Quoting melakay1981:

Christmas is about the same every year for them, I will say that the Wii U was something out of the ordinary last year, I normally would never buy the newest electronic but my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer the previous July, she had to quit ice skating and felt like she was not allowed to do anything due to the brain surgery.  We bought a lot of games to keep her active.  Her 2 big gifts this year are a vanity and the Just dance 2014.  We do go through their toys 2 times a year and donate them to the woman's help center.  We are actually talking about doing a Christmas like this for another family next year.  We are going to talk to my daughters church and see what we can do so we can prepare throughout the year so it can be huge for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting melakay1981:

This is my kids Christmas last year so no I do not think it is excessive. 

Wow, What fun they must of had. What does Christmas look like this year for them and do you go through and donate from the previous year toys they don't play with anymore?That's awesome you can do that.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Damn. Only got through the first page and Smdh. It's too late now, but I'd go on and give them all to her.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so sorry about your daughter is she doing better this year? My daughter quit ice skating a couple of years ago but not because she had anything it was just starting to get weird where we went to. I hope she liked the Just Dance 2014 my daughter isn't into our Wii so much anymore.

That is so sweet that you are going through this with your daughter yet you think of doing this for another family. What a Christmas those people would have due to the generosity of someone else.

Merry Christmas!

Quoting melakay1981:

Christmas is about the same every year for them, I will say that the Wii U was something out of the ordinary last year, I normally would never buy the newest electronic but my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer the previous July, she had to quit ice skating and felt like she was not allowed to do anything due to the brain surgery.  We bought a lot of games to keep her active.  Her 2 big gifts this year are a vanity and the Just dance 2014.  We do go through their toys 2 times a year and donate them to the woman's help center.  We are actually talking about doing a Christmas like this for another family next year.  We are going to talk to my daughters church and see what we can do so we can prepare throughout the year so it can be huge for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting melakay1981:

Wow, What fun they must of had. What does Christmas look like this year for them and do you go through and donate from the previous year toys they don't play with anymore?That's awesome you can do that.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM

She just had a 2nd brain tumor removed this past October and is now on a vaccine trial, she goes every 3-4 weeks for injections for 2 years.  All we can do is hope it works

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting Anonymous:

Merry Christmas!

Quoting melakay1981:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting melakay1981:

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I think the bed was fine, but shouldn't really count as a Christmas gift.  More than one other big thing is excessive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)