Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I bought DD 3 "big" presents :( is this excessive?

Posted by   + Show Post

By no means do I think the holidays are about presents. I firmly believe kids should get only ONE big present but I couldn't decide.. I got my dd a Minnie Mouse toddler bed(which she asked 4 and has been asking 4 for several mos and actually needs), a kitchen set and a cozy coupe car(to encourage imaginative play). Should I hold out until after the holidays and spread out her presents? I also bought her some small presents like doll accessories etc.

Edit: ok I asked other friends and family and they thought it was excessive which is why I posted this. The negative comments are mind blowing. I came here for advice and people are questioning my parenting. I guess this isn't the place to come for advice. I'll know better next time....

Edit: also the 1st time I posted this it didn't go through so I rewrote it and mistakenly left some info out about having a hard time deciding. Thanks to all the moms with kind words. No idea this post about my indecisiveness would generate so many responses!! Merry Christmas:)

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
JTROX
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM

It doesn't sound excessive to me.  Have fun. 

mama111609
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We know it is alot, but right now at this stage in our lives - we are able to. It is not guarenteed that it will always be like this. We also tell him that this is what it can be like when you behave and can take care of your things. You want to be naughty - I will take it all away. He is also the only child who lives with us.

We also got my step-daughter (she is 24) a $400 tablet/lap-top thing, so she didn't get left out. That is all that we got her, but my DS (he is 4) picked out some earings and a necklace for her. (he also wrapped them)  :)

So he may be getting a lot - but he is also giving to people as well. He just didn't pick out EVERYONE's gift - but only because mama doesn't have the patience for that!  lol

Quoting lee2362:

Wow!!! Lol he is going to be thrilled. Thanks 4 this. Nice to know someone can comment without judging :/

Quoting mama111609:

If this is excessive...then what my DS is getting is waaay out of line.

He is getting:

A ride on bulldozer (posted a pic in another post), and easy bake oven, an engine he can build with his dad, an atm machine, a batman house, some figures and accessories to go with the batman house, a pack of 6 of marvel superheros (they are pretty big ones), a monster truck wii game, a monster truck race thing, that is also a case, a playdough ice cream maker set (this is what he asked for) and some ramps for skateboarding/bikes (he also asked for this). I also got him a few monster trucks and some clothes. I also probably missed a few things, but I think this is close to covering it all.

babie113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
not excessive imo
lee2362
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I love your philosophy

Quoting mama111609:

We know it is alot, but right now at this stage in our lives - we are able to. It is not guarenteed that it will always be like this. We also tell him that this is what it can be like when you behave and can take care of your things. You want to be naughty - I will take it all away. He is also the only child who lives with us.

We also got my step-daughter (she is 24) a $400 tablet/lap-top thing, so she didn't get left out. That is all that we got her, but my DS (he is 4) picked out some earings and a necklace for her. (he also wrapped them)  :)

So he may be getting a lot - but he is also giving to people as well. He just didn't pick out EVERYONE's gift - but only because mama doesn't have the patience for that!  lol

Quoting lee2362:

Wow!!! Lol he is going to be thrilled. Thanks 4 this. Nice to know someone can comment without judging :/

Quoting mama111609:

He is getting:

A ride on bulldozer (posted a pic in another post), and easy bake oven, an engine he can build with his dad, an atm machine, a batman house, some figures and accessories to go with the batman house, a pack of 6 of marvel superheros (they are pretty big ones), a monster truck wii game, a monster truck race thing, that is also a case, a playdough ice cream maker set (this is what he asked for) and some ramps for skateboarding/bikes (he also asked for this). I also got him a few monster trucks and some clothes. I also probably missed a few things, but I think this is close to covering it all.

mama111609
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

LOL, he has a few 50 cc dirt bikes. He can't ride them by himself, but it is something him and his dad do together. My husband told him that if acts like a brat and can't follow the rules, he will watch as he takes his dirt bikes, lays them in the middle of the road and drives over them with the truck.

While he IS spoiled, there is no denying that. He WILL NOT act like a brat. I will take it all away in heartbeat, and he knows it will go to kids who don't have toys.

Quoting lee2362:

I love your philosophy

Quoting mama111609:

Quoting lee2362:

Quoting mama111609:

He is getting:

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Never worry about what others think when it comes to the number of presents and amount spent. If you don't go broke doing it, it doesn't matter one bit what others think.

lee2362
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!!! I was worried about her expecting too many presents as she got older which s why I questioned what I got her but the key is balance. Good behavior gets rewarded and vice versa. Thanks 4 sharing and totally putting my mind at ease

Quoting mama111609:

LOL, he has a few 50 cc dirt bikes. He can't ride them by himself, but it is something him and his dad do together. My husband told him that if acts like a brat and can't follow the rules, he will watch as he takes his dirt bikes, lays them in the middle of the road and drives over them with the truck.

While he IS spoiled, there is no denying that. He WILL NOT act like a brat. I will take it all away in heartbeat, and he knows it will go to kids who don't have toys.

Quoting lee2362:

I love your philosophy

Quoting mama111609:

Quoting lee2362:

Quoting mama111609:

He is getting:

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

This is what I was thinking.. To me, big gift means the pricey one. Not the "large" one.

Quoting lucille.bluth:

They are physically big gifts but really not that expensive. Just give them all to her. I thought this was going to be about presents that were $100+ each. 

mom2gmp2
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Sounds like a little girl is gonna have a nice Christmas. :)
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think those are fine presents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)