Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you give $200 to a random person??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Say you're at a store and you have a random $200 extra bucks and you're Christmas spirit says to give it to someone in that store.

So you wander for a few looking for someone to give it to.

What kinds of things about a person would you look for in deciding if they were deserving of the money?

Ratty shoes?

Dishelveled looks?

Food stamp card??

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
EyEmTuRtLe
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We wouldn't do cash. And we do tend to do RAK when we're out 'n' about even though our budget is extremely tight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I've done this a couple of times before.
Once it was a family friend that's a foster mom and has 5 or 6 foster kids and she was at the store getting groceries and I paid for all her stuff.
Another time it was a mom and she had two kids with her and she was pregnant and I paid for all her groceries too.
AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I would probably use the extra $200 for something else, honestly. I would give it to a couple of charities that we use or buy presents for kids through a program.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go to a second-hand store and look around at the ppl shopping there. I would find someone who honestly looked like they could really use the money. I would approach them and say, "Here! I want you have a very, very Merry Christmas!" Then I would hand them the $200 and quietly walk out of the store. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats nice. 

But say you were just in a store and you had to do it right then and there. How would you do it? What would you look for in a person?

Quoting Anonymous:

If I was super wealthy, I would take the $200 and give it to the Bishop of my church. I would tell him to give it to someone who really needed it.

I know someone who received $300 for Christmas last year! She and her family have been struggling for several years now. Without that $300 that someone in their church gave to their Bishop, their kids would have ended up with literally only a few small items their grandparents sent them! With the $300, they were able to get them some nice gifts and had money to pay for a nice Christmas Dinner! Otherwise, they would have eaten mac and cheese for Christmas.

shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I would if I had it to spare. I have no idea what would make me pick a person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who lives in California. There's a homeless man that looks homeless and begs for money every day, the money isn't taxed because the government considers it a gift, he lives in a nice home with a nice paid off car but see's no reason to stop corner begging, to him its a job.

How would you know the person you're giving to on the corner would really need the items you're giving them? What sort of traits or things would you do to make sure they were really needy?

Quoting Anonymous: I wouldn't go around a store looking for someone...I would most likely give it to someone on the corner begging for money.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you did buy some food and clothes and were going to give it to someone in the store, what traits would you look for in a person in order to give them those things?

Quoting Anonymous: I would buy food and clothes...not randomly give $200 out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not?

Quoting Anonymous: I wouldn't give that amount of money away.

Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Wouldn't happen. I work hard for my money. I'm not giving it away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM
The elderly own about 80% of the nation's wealth (in the US, anyway). It would be hard to determine if they are well off or not. I don't see a significant difference between how the wealthy elderly dress compared to the poor.

Quoting anotherhalf: I'd look for a nicely dressed (not pricey) mom or an elderly person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd look for someone who was obviously on a budget... list, calculator etc & buy their stuff for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM
My shoes aren't as nice as the others at work. My hair isn't nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

What sort of things does a person put out there for the world to see that is in a situation like yours? Like, what would they look or act like? If they were a stranger, how would you know they were in that situation?

Quoting Anonymous: Id look for someone in my situation...working fast food..minimum wage..3 kids..no jobs in my city without a nursing degree..can't go to school bc i can't lose my income.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN