Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh I had to call 911 *edit

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 206 Replies
8 moms liked this
I had to call 911 this morning and I am so embarrassed! I feel horrible! I was installing my boys car seats and it is raining so I kept all the doors closed while I did it. I finnished up strapped them in and then got out closed the sliding door and then tried to get into my van. Yep the doors were locked. Ok, not a big deal I have the keys in my coat pocket..... Nope they were right there on the floor they had fallen out. My cell phone is in my purse inside the car. Everything is inside the car, the house is already locked and I am standing in the rain. Ugh! I had to run down the street to a neighbors and use a phone to call 911. Thankfully my boys didn't bat an eye at it. They thought it was such a fun game. I am going to take a big platter of cookies over to the fire department tomorrow as a thank you. They were awesome. I feel like a complete idiot! Mommy fail moment!

Edit*

I live in a rural area as in cows farmland rural. Not big city with AAA 10 mins away. The closest AAA location is 40 mins away and calling a tow truck or locksmith in a RURAL area can be extended times. The fire department is about 2 miles from my house.

The boys didn't have jackets on and there is snow on the ground and its in the low 40s.

My neighbor was 1/4 mile from my house. I sprinted to their house and back because I am not going to leave the boys unattended while I google and arrange a tow truck. My neighbor is a retired police officer and guess what they think calling 911 was completely appropriate.

Common sense says call 911 and there isn't a doubt in my mind I made the appropriate responsible call. The fire fighters were all dads and amazingly polite. They are down home county boys who kindly invited us to come tour their fire house and for the boys to see the big fire truck. They are almost entirely volunteer and next week as a thank you I am taking a massive platter of cookies in appreciation as well as making a generous donation to their fund. At the end of the day we are ok and I'm incredibly grateful for their help today.
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. At least everyone is ok. That was probably pretty scary.

J-KsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM
It was until I was able to call 911 and know help was on the way. Thankfully the car wasn't on and they were safely in their seats.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. At least everyone is ok. That was probably pretty scary.

Miss.MandyLynn
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

how old are ur kids why not have them unlock ur car door instead next time

Garnet131
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
That's pretty scary! Glad it all turned out ok! I can only imagine how you must have felt! :( Hope your SO didn't give you a hard time about it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
How scary!! How old are your boys? By about 3 mine could reach the lock on their doors while strapped into their seats, so I taught them to unlock it when told to. By 4 my son could buckle and unbuckle(when told) his own straps. If possible teach them to unlock the door only when mommy or daddy say. I had that happen a few months ago, freaked for a split second then thought oh yeah went to ds's door told him through the door to unlock it, then reached to the front door to unlock the rest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Lol

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Don't you think she would have if they could have?  They were in their car seats.  Some of those suckers are hard to get out of.

Op - been there.  Got my son (who was 2 at the time) all buckled in at the parking lot of Walmart.  Shut the door and realized I placed the keys down on the floor board in front of the car seat.  Middle of summer in a hot location...  Yeah...  brilliant move.  Been there :)

Quoting Miss.MandyLynn:

how old are ur kids why not have them unlock ur car door instead next time

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Good thinking!  At least they weren't panicking, that would have added a lot more stress to the situation.  My boss once locked her baby in the car, in the grocery store parking lot.  She'd gotten the baby strapped, put the groceries in the trunk and shut the trunk, only to find that the keys were in the back seat with the baby, she'd dropped them when she put the baby in.  She called the police and an officer came and after getting the car opened, he questioned her a lot about how she'd locked the baby in the car.  He thought she'd gone into the store and left the baby on purpose in the car, it was all cleared up when the store manager came out and said that he'd seen her in the store with the baby.  My thought was at least he was concerned enough about the baby to question her about it.

Glad it worked out for you and your little ones.  :)

SJG1013
by SJG on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Glad your boys are okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
6 moms liked this
Really you called 911 for that? I would have just called AAA, it a locksmith...why waste resources for that...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured