Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Store return. What would you have done? **Update with what I did**

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 141 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How much would YOU have walked away with?

Options:

$79.99

$49.99

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 252

View Results

I bought something about 10 days ago at Fred Meyer. I needed to return it today and did NOT have my receipt. They checked my Rewards card and my debit card and could not find the purchase. When I originally bought the item it was ringing up wrong so the cashier used the actual shelf tag rather than the UPC on the box. I think this is was created the problem while returning it.

They agreed to the return, but said I could only have a gift card for the purchase price, not cash. No problem with me, I shop there all the time. When she did a price check the item came up at $79.99. I only paid $49.99 for it.

Would have have kept your mouth shut and taken the $79.99 or would you have spoken up and told her how much you really paid for it, $49.99?

I will update after I get some answers on what I did.

**Update - I told the truth. She said "I am going to put $79.99 on a gift card for you." I then told her "But, I only paid $49.99 for it." The lady behind me in line looked at me like I had sprouted an extra head. I think she was shocked that I spoke up. 

I have to admit, I am saddened by how many of you said you would have kept the extra $30. That is stealing, plain & simple!  

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

My luck they would have found the $30 difference and I would have gotten caught so to avoid all hassle I'd have been honest and said "but I paid X"  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I've had that happen with return. I got it on sale, or my realtive did, but I was refunded the price from the day I returned it. I'd take what they offered.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I would spoken up and said I paid $49
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll be honest. I would have kept my mouth shut and taken the extra money.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I had this issue the other day. I told the truth, because I am always worried that it might be one of those hidden camera shows. lol. At least that is what I tell myself. Really it is that I have an extremely guilty conscience, and it would have eaten at me.  

melly_v88
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I'd have taken what they handed me :P

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Honestly they wouldn't have known one way or the other. I am surprised their system works that way! When I worked returns, if you didn't have a receipt and we couldn't look it up on the card, you got the last sale price in the last *90* days!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Said nothing

KMadsen
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would feel bad if I took $30 more than the price I paid for it. 

my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I could not bring myself to accept a refund for more than I actually paid for the item.  Just not my way. 

I would have told them I had only paid 49.99 for the item.  Plain and simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)