Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lasik eye surgery

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 27 Replies
Anyone ever have it done? I'm interested and looking into it in January. But I want to hear from others who have had it. Good/bad experience?

I'm 23 and have HORRIBLE vision.
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MxHoneyMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM
My dh wanted it done, but apparently his eye sight is too severe for them to do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My sister had it done, she said it was the best decision she ever made.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Best thing I ever did

MxHoneyMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Too severe? So bad it can't be fixed?

Quoting Anonymous: My dh wanted it done, but apparently his eye sight is too severe for them to do it.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Do you have an astigmatism?

I do and Lasik isn't good for people with astigmatism, especially if it's severe
MxHoneyMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM
How was it? Any issues? I'm so afraid of things touching my eyes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Best thing I ever did

MxHoneyMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Last time I went, no. Getting checked again in January. My vision has gotten worse. I thought it was good for astigmatism? I only read up on it for a few minutes so I could be wrong.

Quoting Aslen: Do you have an astigmatism?

I do and Lasik isn't good for people with astigmatism, especially if it's severe
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM
They said his vision is so bad, lasik would be dangerous and they were unable to even attempt surgery.

We knew going in, lasik wouldn't cure it, but we figured it would at least improve his vision enough that he could wear normal glasses or contacts. Right now he needs special lenses that are like 800 just for the lenses and his contacts arelike 700 a pair. But unfortunately, they said his only option would be to have an experimental surgery in germany that would implant a permanent lense in his eye lol

Quoting MxHoneyMama: Too severe? So bad it can't be fixed?

Quoting Anonymous: My dh wanted it done, but apparently his eye sight is too severe for them to do it.
GCM
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I had PRK, which is the same thing, they just treat the eye membrane differently.  (Mine was too thin, so it was safer to just remove the whole membrane and let it grow back without any scar tissue from cutting it as what happens in Lasik.)  I was a -7.75 and a -7.50, now I'm 20/20, and have been since 2007.  I think it's totally worth it.  I've only had one problem with it, but it's diminished over time.  I had, and still have "ghost vision".  It was really bad right after, but it's gotten better.  Now it's only really noticeable at night with lights or signs.  It's when you see an object, and then see a fuzzy "ghost" image of that object on either side of itself.  I only have problems if I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar at night if I don't have my GPS.  

The one thing that freaked me out about the whole procedure beforehand was thinking about them putting the instrument into my eyes to keep my eyelids open.  I kept worrying that I'd feel my eyes going dry, but in actuality you don't feel a damn thing you've got so many numbing drops in them.  In your mind, you're still blinking, you just don't know you're not.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)