Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This new debate confuses me! Edit- follow up question

Posted by   + Show Post
So lately on my morning shows I've been seeing there is a big debate on whether or not its rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes when they come in your house. I'm curious on thoughts.

For those who say its rude and its uncomfortable not to wear shoes, then would iuyt make sense to keep a pohair of house shoes with you? Then you can have shoes, but not ones that have been worn outside in dirt, snow etc?
For those who say it isn't rude, do you provide booties or new socks for your guests?
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
secondboy2012
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Sometimes I feel awkward, but it's my home, the carpet is new and my kids and I play on it. It really is gross dragging crud in from outside. So rude or not at my house you leave them by the door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is rude...I consider it an attempt to be lazy and not have to clean your floors as often.I don't want a 100 different bare feet with foot fungi etc on my floor just sounds gross to me. I actually sweep, mop, and santize after guests, but to be fair I hate shoes, and if I know you well enough tocome to your house I am probably going to take my shoes off when I get there. Although I take my shoes off I try to keep a pair of clean socks on me to put on (I generally wear sandels).

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM

No it's not rude. It's apart of many customs and cultures to respect the rules of someone's house. If they request their visitors to take off their shoes it's not an offense. The offense would be the guest getting upset by it. Too many people are all about "me, me, me" with no regard to others. 

missmeli77
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
There house there rules....... If people do not like the rules don't come over......
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I find it rude to go to someone else's house and not follow their rules.  It isn't rude at all.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

It's very European & I will continue to ask people to remove their shoes. I paid a lot for my Hand Scraped hardwood floor & I want it to continue to look nice. I provide a room and a small sofa for people to remove their shoes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I don't see how it's rude, I would say it's rude to enter someone's house with them on if you were asked to take them off.
aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I don't ask people to take them off, but I notice when they don't, and it bugs me. I clean my floors very well, right along with the rest of my home. I think it's only common courtesy to assume people don't want your dirty shoes on their floors. They don't have to be visibly caked with mud to be filthy. I always remove my shoes in someone else's home. It's just common sense to me.
Okie-chick
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
If its your house,it's your rules. It just became a habit for me to take my shoes off at the front door at my house. I'd follow it at someone else's house too
momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I don't understand the lazy part. I have tile and carpet. While tile may clean easily carpet will eventually become dicolored not just from dirt but also from constant cleaning. Why would me want to keep my carpet nice be lazy?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is rude...I consider it an attempt to be lazy and not have to clean your floors as often.I don't want a 100 different bare feet with foot fungi etc on my floor just sounds gross to me. I actually sweep, mop, and santize after guests.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN