Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This new debate confuses me! Edit- follow up question

Posted by   + Show Post
So lately on my morning shows I've been seeing there is a big debate on whether or not its rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes when they come in your house. I'm curious on thoughts.

For those who say its rude and its uncomfortable not to wear shoes, then would iuyt make sense to keep a pohair of house shoes with you? Then you can have shoes, but not ones that have been worn outside in dirt, snow etc?
For those who say it isn't rude, do you provide booties or new socks for your guests?
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (171-178):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I don't think it's rude, but I would offer socks or something.  I have holes in most of my socks and would be really embarrassed.

teenxmommie2011
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

depends on the household

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

As I said in an earlier reply, my Mom HAS to wear shoes . . . Not slippers, but real shoes with proper support, at all times.  She's had various knee surgeries and issues with her legs and feet.  She puts on shoes as soon as she wakes up, even if she's still wearing her nightgown.  I'd never put "things" (ie, a floor . . . That's meant to be walked on to begin with) over people.

Quoting momto1ryen: So lately on my morning shows I've been seeing there is a big debate on whether or not its rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes when they come in your house. I'm curious on thoughts.

For those who say its rude and its uncomfortable not to wear shoes, then would iuyt make sense to keep a pohair of house shoes with you? Then you can have shoes, but not ones that have been worn outside in dirt, snow etc?
For those who say it isn't rude, do you provide booties or new socks for your guests?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Unless someone has shoes on that are just obviously filthy, muddy or whatever and not what you *think* they've walked in, I think it's rude as hell to harp on your guests to take off their shoes.  The only time I went to a house where the owner said to take off shoes, I never went back.  If you're that big of a germaphobe, you might as well just seal off your house and never leave it or have anyone come over.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Okay.

Then don't visit people's houses. Problem solved.

Quoting disneymom2two:

I know a number of people with foot issues; its not as uncommon as some may think.  That's neither here nor there.  I thought it was rude when I was a teenager, long before I had any sort of foot problem.  It won't be the last time I've disagreed with posters on CM.

Quoting Momniscient: People have rules for a reason. You're the exception. Sorry, I don't find it rude it's just another thing in life that people navigate.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Because your guests may be uncomfortable doing so and your job as hostess is to make your guests comfortable, not cause them discomfort.  I have foot problems and at times require support from shoes.  It is rude to cause me to have to explain to the hostess, especially if I am arriving with others, why I am not able to walk barefoot without serious pain if I'm having a flareup.  I've turned down invitations because they came at times I wouldn't be able to go barefoot and the hostess insisted her guests not wear shoes.  I guess its a matter of priorities - which is more important: your guests or having to vacuum your rug an extra time?

Quoting Momniscient: Why would that be rude?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Not a problem for me - if something comes up at a moms' group acquiantance's home and I decide I can't go barefoot, I change my rsvp to no.  Most of those activities are at restaurants so no problem.  Those people whom I consider real friends and am likely to spend time at their homes with some regularity care more about their friends than whether they wear shoes in the house. 

Quoting Momniscient: Okay.

Quoting disneymom2two:

I know a number of people with foot issues; its not as uncommon as some may think.  That's neither here nor there.  I thought it was rude when I was a teenager, long before I had any sort of foot problem.  It won't be the last time I've disagreed with posters on CM.

Quoting Momniscient: People have rules for a reason. You're the exception. Sorry, I don't find it rude it's just another thing in life that people navigate.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Because your guests may be uncomfortable doing so and your job as hostess is to make your guests comfortable, not cause them discomfort.  I have foot problems and at times require support from shoes.  It is rude to cause me to have to explain to the hostess, especially if I am arriving with others, why I am not able to walk barefoot without serious pain if I'm having a flareup.  I've turned down invitations because they came at times I wouldn't be able to go barefoot and the hostess insisted her guests not wear shoes.  I guess its a matter of priorities - which is more important: your guests or having to vacuum your rug an extra time?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
It's really weird you require people to bend to your feet.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Not a problem for me - if something comes up at a moms' group acquiantance's home and I decide I can't go barefoot, I change my rsvp to no.  Most of those activities are at restaurants so no problem.  Those people whom I consider real friends and am likely to spend time at their homes with some regularity care more about their friends than whether they wear shoes in the house. 

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Not something you need to worry about since its extremely unlikely I'd ever be at your house. 

Quoting Momniscient: It's really weird you require people to bend to your feet.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN