Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This new debate confuses me! Edit- follow up question

Posted by   + Show Post
So lately on my morning shows I've been seeing there is a big debate on whether or not its rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes when they come in your house. I'm curious on thoughts.

For those who say its rude and its uncomfortable not to wear shoes, then would iuyt make sense to keep a pohair of house shoes with you? Then you can have shoes, but not ones that have been worn outside in dirt, snow etc?
For those who say it isn't rude, do you provide booties or new socks for your guests?
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Family and close neighbors take off their shoes, but never had to ask they just do it out of respect.

But new people who don't, I don't care if they wear their shoes in the house.
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It's rude. You don't ask guests to potentially perform uncomfortable acts.
aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Maybe they're just running out of things to talk about? I can't believe there are people who think it's rude to ask or expect it. It is MY home. Idk...I was raised this way and I teach my kids the same.

Quoting momto1ryen: That was why I was a little floored to even see it as a debate. I jist always found it a common courtesy thing as well.

Quoting aandt1999: I don't ask people to take them off, but I notice when they don't, and it bugs me. I clean my floors very well, right along with the rest of my home. I think it's only common courtesy to assume people don't want your dirty shoes on their floors. They don't have to be visibly caked with mud to be filthy. I always remove my shoes in someone else's home. It's just common sense to me.
Miss.MandyLynn
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM

i thought it was just a common practise in most homes..

aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM
What is uncomfortable about taking shoes off?

Quoting Miranda1127: It's rude. You don't ask guests to potentially perform uncomfortable acts.
Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I've never had someone come into my home who didn't take off their shoes... o.O (maybe someone to work on the TV or something, but thats it). 

We take our shoes off in other peoples houses too

FelineTopic
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I never heard of this until cm....

I wouldn't expect nor would I wish for my guests to remove their shoes when they are in my house...

Unless...
They are tracking in mud....

Any other time, please keep your shoes on....

If I am at your house, I wouldn't take my shoes off....

It will a very short visit, if you have that rule....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyMommy87
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM

kids i expect to do so but adults not so much. Dh has a good friend who never takes off his shoes. He sleeps in them even. We never ask him to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I think shoes are so much cleaner than people's nasty ass feet, even in socks. Of course, I've been all over the world in places you cannot take to your shoes off, even in the shower, for fear of catching a fungal infection. I got a nasty infection in Saudi Arabia and it would not have been a good idea to take my shoes off at someone's house. Bottom line, I'd rather deal with dirt than nasty feet.
mommymix0820
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM

i have a little signed taped to my door that says "please remove your shoes at the door :)" for some stupid reason we bought a huge beige rug for the living room and have a runner down the hall...we have SS10, DS4, DD2 and DS9 mths lol!! but besides the rugs it really cuts down on the amount of sweeping, vacuuming and mopping i have to do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN