Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This new debate confuses me! Edit- follow up question

Posted by   + Show Post
So lately on my morning shows I've been seeing there is a big debate on whether or not its rude to ask your guests to take off their shoes when they come in your house. I'm curious on thoughts.

For those who say its rude and its uncomfortable not to wear shoes, then would iuyt make sense to keep a pohair of house shoes with you? Then you can have shoes, but not ones that have been worn outside in dirt, snow etc?
For those who say it isn't rude, do you provide booties or new socks for your guests?
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
FelineTopic
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
For me...

If you take your shoes off in my house, it makes it appear you are planning on staying awhile, maybe longer than I want you to.....

And that would make me feel uncomfortable....

Also...

You might have stinky feet....

I don't want to smell that, either...

Quoting aandt1999: What is uncomfortable about taking shoes off?

Quoting Miranda1127: It's rude. You don't ask guests to potentially perform uncomfortable acts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
You're kidding right? You really can't see how taking off your shoes could be uncomfortable for some people?

Quoting aandt1999: What is uncomfortable about taking shoes off?

Quoting Miranda1127: It's rude. You don't ask guests to potentially perform uncomfortable acts.
awsmnss26
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

If you are coming in to my home I have rules and if I ask you to take off your shoes at the door it shouldn't be a big deal.After all it is my home not yours.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I think it's rude to walk into someon'es house and not offer/ask if they'd like you to take them off! You shouldn'teven have to ask a guest.

ceckyl
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't even know it was a thing to NOT take off your shoes. It's always been expected to take off your shoes at the door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I am Macedonian and there no one wear shoes inside. It is so gross. They also provide you with slippers in the winter so your feet won't be cold.

I also read an article a few months ago about how much toxins we bring in the house because of what is on our shoes. I would implement it in our home, but we don't have a lot of space at our door for all of our shoes :/
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I don't care if your shoes on or off. Just take them off if they are muddy or snowy etc.
ceckyl
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Same here. I'm pretty surprised people don't automatically just do this. I would actually be very irritated if someone wore their shoes through my house.

Quoting Freela:

I'm in Canada, it's just kind of a thing here that you take off your shoes when you come in.  Once I had a backyard party in the summer and kept telling people to just leave their shoes on to walk straight through to the back deck, and most of them wouldn't even do it then!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I seen a clever way to ask in a magazine once. You put a sign in the mud-room by a box of house slippers and ask people to remove their shoes and help themselves to a pair of slippers to wear. I never tried it out but I thought it was a neat idea. I remove my shoes when I enter someones house. I expect people to remove their shoes in my house too. I have never had someone think it was rude. I always thought it was common courtesy... new floors aren't cheap and dirty shoes/boots can wreck flooring over time.

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I think it is rude not to follow someone s house rules.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)