Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O not a bashing post but a query ... working on the Sabbath.

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM
  • 32 Replies

Now I want to start by saying that I am not a Christian but the girl I work with regularly on Sunday's is ... I'm a student paramedic and she's the paramedic. We work together out of the same ambulance. Now I know that the Sabbath is a Sunday she works every Sunday (in the ambulance service here you don't pick your roster). Not working on the Sabbath is one of the 10 commandments, I know that according to Christians I'm going to Hell anyway but for arguments sake ...

Are we (and all the doctors, nurses, and paramedics) that work Sundays going to be thrown into eternal torture for it? Am I suppose to repent for saving the life of a 5 year girl last Sunday that had drowned in her grandparents pool? Or the 20 year old the Sunday before who had been hit by a car and was praying (loudly) to Jesus to not let him die?

by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's the thing though- nobody knows which day is truly the 7th day or the Sabbath as when God created the universe in 7 days, the timeline is debatable. There is no telling how long a day was, which day He started on, etc...

Christians are judged by The New Covenant and it actually means to " honor the Sabbath" as in recognize that God rested on the 7th day...it is a time for reflection..you also have to understand that the Sabbath is your rest day, so if your work week begins on Sunday, your Sabbath is on Saturday...if your work week begins on Wednesday, your Sabbath is Tuesday. You don't go to Hell for working on the Sabbath, it just means to recognize it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Mark 3:1-6

TG3
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I'm sorry I don't have a bible ... what does that mean?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM
1 mom liked this

New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Heals on the Sabbath

Jesus went into the synagogue again and noticed a man with a deformed hand. Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus’ enemies watched him closely. If he healed the man’s hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath.

Jesus said to the man with the deformed hand, “Come and stand in front of everyone.” Then he turned to his critics and asked, “Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?” But they wouldn’t answer him.

He looked around at them angrily and was deeply saddened by their hard hearts. Then he said to the man, “Hold out your hand.” So the man held out his hand, and it was restored! At once the Pharisees went away and met with the supporters of Herod to plot how to kill Jesus.

TG3
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM

but I'm not Jesus.

Quoting Anonymous:

Jesus went into the synagogue again and noticed a man with a deformed hand. Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus’ enemies watched him closely. If he healed the man’s hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath.

Jesus said to the man with the deformed hand, “Come and stand in front of everyone.” Then he turned to his critics and asked, “Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?” But they wouldn’t answer him.

He looked around at them angrily and was deeply saddened by their hard hearts. Then he said to the man, “Hold out your hand.” So the man held out his hand, and it was restored! At once the Pharisees went away and met with the supporters of Herod to plot how to kill Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I know in orthodox Jewish hospitals they have systems in place to keep work to a minimum. Elevators stop at every floor so you don't have to push buttons, food is prepared the day before, curtains are opened by a timer, and so on. They don't schedule anything that day but if there's an emergency they deal with.

The rule isn't no work, it's no unnecessary work. You can't make a big meal but you can set out food for example and there are things that just need to be done like changing diapers.
copperked
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Jesus' point that he made in that passage and others like it was that the Sabbath was not intended to be an excuse not to do good and help people. If a Christian sees a wreck on their way to church on their Sabbath, they should stop and help if they have the means to do so.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Matthew  12:1-14

At the time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath." 

He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? He entered the house of God and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread-which was not lawful for them to do , but only for the priests. Or haven't you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and are yet innocent? I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath." 

Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"

He said to them, " If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out" How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath." Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Neither am I.

I am a Christian and I work on Saturdays and Sundays. 

It's not a sin to work on Sabbath day as Jesus showed us. 

Quoting TG3:

but I'm not Jesus.

Quoting Anonymous:

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:15 AM
3 moms liked this

First of all...the Sabbath mentioned in the 10 Commandments is the Jewish Sabbath...which is NOT Sunday, it is from sunset Friday through sunset Saturday.

According to Christian teachings -  they do not need to follow the commandments given to the Jews any more.   While they do teach about the 10 Commandments.....there were actually 613 Commandments given by G-d to the Jewish people -- Christians teach that they no long need to follow so many of the commandments (not eating shell fish, not wearing clothing made of both cotton and linen, etc), why they still teach the "big 10" is a bit of a mystery to me.

Observant Jews do still honor the Sabbath by keeping it a holy and separate day - not working, not cooking, not shopping, not doing household chores, etc.

But no matter what teaching about the Sabbath is being taught and to who......there is always the rule that anything that must be done to save a life is to be done -- no matter what day of the week it is needed.  Jews don't believe in hell....but, even if that was a punishment, there is no punishment for helping someone (or something....meaning an animal as well) on the Sabbath.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)