Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you always have a home at your parents?

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 324 Replies
2 moms liked this
I dont mean to actually move in with them. But to visit, hang out, raid the kitchen and feel welcome and at home?

My parents are dead. But before they and my grandmother passed, I always had a home base. I could walk in, raid the food, put my feet up on the couch, ect.

DH's parents house is the opposite. You have to call and knock before going over. You have to ask before getting a drink. And forget about eating. They never, ever, offer to feed you, a snack, nothing. Their house is big, but they make sure its just for two. Tomorrow when we go for Christmas we will be sitting on the floor because they got rid of their furniture and have 2 recliners.

It makes me mad. My kids are adults and I always want a house they can come home to. They all have keys to the doors and never have to ask for anything. I usually start cooking as soon as they come over.
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes. My parents door has always been open.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No. I always have a home at my MIL's house and my grandma's house though.

My mom lives with her hunny in a very small place, and it feels like more his house. She's only lived there for almost 2 years, and I doubt he'd mind if I raided the fridge or anything but I just haven't really hit that comfort level. I'm not overly close with my mom anyway.

nicki1018
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I do at my mom's and my inlaws. I even bring a bag of dirty laundry for my mom to wash even though I have a washing machine lol. I can do whatever at both homes. My mom cooks for me, I get babied still and I'm 27 lol.
BAMFSFW
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Yes at my moms & his moms, not so much his dads though. They at least try, but their home is made/revolves @ their dogs! I agree & always want my kids comfortable in & feeling "at home" in my house.
caustinb
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Yes, but my parents still live in the home we grew up in. If/when they move to a smaller condo or something, we probably wouldn't gather there.
Lilith.23
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I still have my room at my parents place.
It's always going to be my home, and my parents are over the moon every time we decide to come spend the night.
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yes
erin708
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yes at my moms and inlaws. But my parents smoke in the house so I rarely go there. And my inlaws are dead so can't go there anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjames1990
I miss that. My gmom died when I was 32. The year before I got an awful flu. I left work, kept the kids at daycare, and crawled up on my gmoms couch. My husband made fun of me. Lol

Quoting nicki1018: I do at my mom's and my inlaws. I even bring a bag of dirty laundry for my mom to wash even though I have a washing machine lol. I can do whatever at both homes. My mom cooks for me, I get babied still and I'm 27 lol.
SamiJ18
To visit? Yes. We always let them know before we drop by. It's not because we aren't welcome at any time, it is just polite. We don't raid the fridge or kick our feet up on the table either. Once you move out, you are now a guest. I don't think it's a problem or makes their homes any less of a home. I prefer it this way.

My DH's family is a complete opposite. At FIL's house, you can walk in unannounced, raid the fridge, etc. It makes me uncomfortable so, I always knock or let him know we are on our way. I always try to plan ahead as well.

I'm not sure how things will be for my kids when they get older. They're still very young.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)