Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Study: eating peanuts while pregnant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies
1 mom liked this
Tue, Dec 24 2013, 06:59 AM CDT

When you're pregnant it's tough to figure out what you can eat. and what's not too good of an idea to eat.

Now, there's a new study on nuts and whether eating them is safe for your unborn child.

Peanuts for most of us, are a high-protein snack. For about 1 in 50 kids, they are a deadly allergy risk.
So many mothers fear a child's exposure to peanuts even before they are born.

Pregnant women were told that eating peanut products might increase the risks their child would develop an allergy.

But today, researchers at Northwestern turn this idea on its head reporting in their study of more than 8,000 children that the more peanuts a woman eats during her pregnancy, the less likely her child is to have a peanut allergy.

Think of it as something like a vaccine, the body learns to recognize peanut as something safe. For peanut-loving moms it could be one less thing to worry about.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erin708
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm a picky eater so peanut butter is a huge part of my diet. All three babies I've had have no allergies either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
3 moms liked this
I eat peanuts and peanut butter like it's my job. I never even considered holding off on peanut products while pregnant.
Okie-chick
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Lord. No. Four pregnancies and none of my kids have one single allergy
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I ate a ton of pb.

Kidlet has nothing but seasonal pollen allergies.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I ate a large amount of peanut butter and peanut products when I was pregnant with both boys. Neither is allergic and both are obsessed with PB like me. 

asmalltowngirl
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I craved peanut butter when I was pregnant with my youngest.

We have to carry an epipen for her, for her peanut allergy
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Since African diets are high in peanuts, it makes sense....you don't hear of peanut allergies in african children

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I am too. I keep peanut butter around. It helps a lot when my sugar drops. I also couldn't eat meat when I was pregnant because the smell made me sick, so I ate a large amount of peanut butter. None of my kids have allergies either.

Quoting erin708: I'm a picky eater so peanut butter is a huge part of my diet. All three babies I've had have no allergies either.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I love peanuts. They were one of the few things I could keep down while pregnant with ds. DS is not allergic to peanuts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I didn't either. When I read the study I was surprised that peanuts were ever considered off limits during pregnancy.

Quoting almondpigeon: I eat peanuts and peanut butter like it's my job. I never even considered holding off on peanut products while pregnant.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)