Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need opinion. MIL and the kids.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I teach my children to respect the elders, but I'm not sure what I should do in my situation. My MIL moved in with us, and she is SOOOO annoying. She is a good woman, but she can "talk you to death".

Example: my kids were watching TV, she sat with them and started to ask thousands questions(She doesn't speak English), What is this movie about? Who is this? What did she/he did? Why? It went on for 15-20 minutes until my DS (5yo) looked at her and said: Can you stop talking already, I can't watch the movie. He was punished.

Next day he wake up at 6m to get ready for school. He was still half asleep when She started again: Hug me? Give me a kiss? How are you? Did you sleep OK. Do you want to go to school?, and 100 more stupid questions. He looked at me, but didn't say anything to her this time.

When my kids cry I leave them in their room until the will stop and than talk to them about why were they crying. It works for them. She will come to their room and frustrate them even more. Why are you crying? Are you a baby? Give me a kiss, and when they say NO. She would say: you are a bad boy?girl? You don't want to kiss me , I will never kiss you either!!!! All she does, is just frustrate them more and make them cry even harder. 

I tried to tell her nicely to just give them their space. They are very quite and good kids. Some days I don't even hear them in the house, they will play together quietly , but she can't help herself, but "annoy" them.

What would you do? Should I punish them when they ask her to STOP TALKING, or LEAVE THEN ALONE while they play? I'm on the fence here. Sometimes I want to tell all this things to her as myself, when she starts that with me.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Wow, I'm not sure what to advise you, but here's a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting dandylynes:

Wow, I'm not sure what to advise you, but here's a bump.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is advice or not. lol.  But I teach my son to be respectful to others.  And he is really good at it. But it's the same as it is for adults.  How can they respect someone who is not respectful.

mom2gmp2
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I don't think it's wrong of them to ask her not to talk during a movie or to want to play by themselves. Would you want someone interrupting something you were trying to watch? Or always trying to be underfoot? She needs to give them their space. I don't know wher you ar, but if it's in an English speaking place, she needs to learn English so she can function on her own. I'm not saying so she can move out, but so she could go shopping on her own, or watch a show and be able to know what's going on.
Closet_Case
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
If they aren't asking her to stop talking in a rude way then no I wouldn't punish them. If you know she's annoying them and she won't respect your wishes then maybe reinforce it to her if they tell her. If she's talking to one of them and they ask her nicely to leave them alone then maybe just simply say to her "they asked you nicely and I'm sure they're not trying to be mean about it, so could you just give them some space right now? Maybe they'll want to talk to you later."
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this
What about getting your dh to talk to her about it?
csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

She would very quickly get the 'my way or the highway' speech from me, as I stood at the open door inviting her ass out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

He tried. HE tells her to give people/kids their space all the time, but she doesn't understand. SHE WOULD SAY THAT HE IS A BAD DS AND NEVER WANTS TO TALK TO HER. 

Last night she called my DH from his bedroom at 10pm and asked why our keyboard and mouse has no wires. They are wireless. She used it for 2 months now. LoL

Quoting Anonymous: What about getting your dh to talk to her about it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

LoL, I wish I could do that, but I can't. 

Quoting csxt99:

She would very quickly get the 'my way or the highway' speech from me, as I stood at the open door inviting her ass out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I ask her all the time to leave them alone, she get upset and says that I'm spoiling them. 

Quoting Closet_Case: If they aren't asking her to stop talking in a rude way then no I wouldn't punish them. If you know she's annoying them and she won't respect your wishes then maybe reinforce it to her if they tell her. If she's talking to one of them and they ask her nicely to leave them alone then maybe just simply say to her "they asked you nicely and I'm sure they're not trying to be mean about it, so could you just give them some space right now? Maybe they'll want to talk to you later."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)