Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people react so negatively to Jews?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 397 Replies
4 moms liked this
I've had so many people say Merry Christmas and I KINDLY reply with thank you and I'm Jewish, hoping for Happy Hanukkah or maybe just a smile, but instead I get some nasty look and usually a rude comment. Since when is being Jewish such a bad thing? I don't knock anyone for celebrating Christmas but damn do I feel like an outcast sometimes.

Update - since I keep having to repeat myself I would like to clarify that this is a general thing during the holidays, not just AFTER Hanukkah and it's not just strangers, but people I know as well. This means when people talk to me about the holidays and ask me, I explain that I'm Jewish so I don't have Christmas plans, they go silent and uncomfortable like it's a bad thing.

One more thing, I do say happy Hanukkah in return and I still get a dirty look. The entire point of my post is to find out why people don't like it when people are Jewish or simply don't celebrate Christmas. Since when is this so important?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piesmama09
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM
19 moms liked this

Happy Hanukkah!!!!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM
31 moms liked this
Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

What she said^^^^^^^

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know, but people always think I'm Jewish, which I don't understand, so happy hannakuh!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Because you "shot down" their holiday greeting (in their eyes).

Had you said that to me I would have simply said "oh! Well Happy Hanukkah then!" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I get what you are saying but thats BS on their part. I smile and Thank them still, but I want them to respect my holiday as well.

You are kind and handled that properly. I wish everyone had manners like that

Quoting Anonymous:

Because you "shot down" their holiday greeting (in their eyes).

Had you said that to me I would have simply said "oh! Well Happy Hanukkah then!" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
9 moms liked this
Usually those are the same people that get offended and cry persecution when you remind them not everyone celebrates Christmas; occasionally they'll bitch about how people are "too PC" and so forth. When they're confronted with someone who isn't Christian, their normal go-to responses about political correctness won't work, because you're right in front of them as opposed to being a non-personal anecdote they can just blow off. The nastiness is still there, though, so they'll just say the first nasty thing that comes to mind.

Just a theory, though. I empathize. I celebrate Yule. I've already gotten two nasty comments from family and one from a coworker. The running theme I've gotten is "Christ is the reason for the season!" Yeah, okay. Whatever.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Umm yeah I read the entire post. I gave you MY explanation as to why I think people act like that towards you. In your shoes I wouldn't correct anyone I'd just smile and say thank you.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petitekatie
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Happy Hanukkah!!! :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN