Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people react so negatively to Jews?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've had so many people say Merry Christmas and I KINDLY reply with thank you and I'm Jewish, hoping for Happy Hanukkah or maybe just a smile, but instead I get some nasty look and usually a rude comment. Since when is being Jewish such a bad thing? I don't knock anyone for celebrating Christmas but damn do I feel like an outcast sometimes.

Update - since I keep having to repeat myself I would like to clarify that this is a general thing during the holidays, not just AFTER Hanukkah and it's not just strangers, but people I know as well. This means when people talk to me about the holidays and ask me, I explain that I'm Jewish so I don't have Christmas plans, they go silent and uncomfortable like it's a bad thing.

One more thing, I do say happy Hanukkah in return and I still get a dirty look. The entire point of my post is to find out why people don't like it when people are Jewish or simply don't celebrate Christmas. Since when is this so important?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
When people tell me "Hapoy Hannukah" I just tell them to go fuck themselves. It eliminates all this bullshit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
3 moms liked this

I had someone say to me "thank you but I'm jewish" before, I simply smiled and said "well in that case, Happy Hanukkah!" I see nothing wrong with saying "thanks, but.."

Nothing wrong with reminding people that there are different holidays! The people who are too stuck up to simply smile and say "Happy Hanukkah" aren't worth the time of day. Don't let their craptasticness get to you :)

Quoting Anonymous: I get what you are saying but thats BS on their part. I smile and Thank them still, but I want them to respect my holiday as well.

You are kind and handled that properly. I wish everyone had manners like that

Quoting Anonymous:

Because you "shot down" their holiday greeting (in their eyes).

Had you said that to me I would have simply said "oh! Well Happy Hanukkah then!" 

stormy0142
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry that is happening to you op....but I wish you and your family a very happy hanukkah.
blueforewolf
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been saying "Happy/Merry" and leaving it at that - I hope it covers  Hannukah, Kwanza, Christmas, pagan holidays I don't know about, and other religions that are celebrating this time of year, and solstice and new year's 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I never asked or expected to be greeted, but people could easily say happy holidays. I'm not angry about it, just wish people weren't so fake since they get all nasty after I mention something other than Christmas.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, last month, I would have replied with Happy Hanukkah, but since Hanukkah is over, I would have figured the need to greet people with it was over. Just like I wouldn't expect people to say Merry Christmas to me in January.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
? Why be do rude?

Quoting Anonymous: When people tell me "Hapoy Hannukah" I just tell them to go fuck themselves. It eliminates all this bullshit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Good point! We got some ba humbugs out there! LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

I had someone say to me "thank you but I'm jewish" before, I simply smiled and said "well in that case, Happy Hanukkah!" I see nothing wrong with saying "thanks, but.."

Nothing wrong with reminding people that there are different holidays! The people who are too stuck up to simply smile and say "Happy Hanukkah" aren't worth the time of day. Don't let their craptasticness get to you :)

Quoting Anonymous: I get what you are saying but thats BS on their part. I smile and Thank them still, but I want them to respect my holiday as well.

You are kind and handled that properly. I wish everyone had manners like that

Quoting Anonymous:

Because you "shot down" their holiday greeting (in their eyes).

Had you said that to me I would have simply said "oh! Well Happy Hanukkah then!" 

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm just going to start saying, "Happy non-specific winter holiday."  I figure that way, I won't offend anyone by trying to be pleasant.

myshoes
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmm, when I say "merry Christmas" I have never given a thought to the reciever's religion. I've always said it as a greeting and probably a little bit as a proclomation of MY religion (which is a little off because Catholics are NOT known for "spreading the word"). I never hear anyone offer up "happy Hanukkah" (except my CLOSE JEWISH friends who I am seeing in celebration of their holiday) and I've always held the stereotye that Jewish people prefer to keep their religion to themselves. When I was a kid, I wondered if they were embarassed about their religion or something. I am an adult now and do not think that. I feel that Jewish comes with a heritage and most Christian religions are more willing to accept people in and welcome them to "join". 

Sorry, I think I have waivered from your topic. I hope you had a Happy Hanukkah and I hope that tomorrow is a nice day for you as well.

Quoting Anonymous: I see what you are saying and I have tried that approach bit I just get a confuses look and a shrug so I just let it go. I don't think any way I have handled it I have been rude but I do think it's rude to assume one's religion. Not you, but others in general

Quoting myshoes:

I am catholic and when someone tells me "happy Hanukkah" I say "thank you, I hope you have a Happy Hanukkah, too".  When I say Merry Christmas....I'd like to hear the same in return. Even if you are not celebrating my holiday, I hope you have a good day on the 25th.  Or maybe just say, "And a Happy Hanukkah, to you too." It will let them know that you are jewish (since that is important to you) and it won't sound so rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok....

Quoting Anonymous: When people tell me "Hapoy Hannukah" I just tell them to go fuck themselves. It eliminates all this bullshit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN