Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people react so negatively to Jews?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've had so many people say Merry Christmas and I KINDLY reply with thank you and I'm Jewish, hoping for Happy Hanukkah or maybe just a smile, but instead I get some nasty look and usually a rude comment. Since when is being Jewish such a bad thing? I don't knock anyone for celebrating Christmas but damn do I feel like an outcast sometimes.

Update - since I keep having to repeat myself I would like to clarify that this is a general thing during the holidays, not just AFTER Hanukkah and it's not just strangers, but people I know as well. This means when people talk to me about the holidays and ask me, I explain that I'm Jewish so I don't have Christmas plans, they go silent and uncomfortable like it's a bad thing.

One more thing, I do say happy Hanukkah in return and I still get a dirty look. The entire point of my post is to find out why people don't like it when people are Jewish or simply don't celebrate Christmas. Since when is this so important?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Honest question I promise you I'm not being snotty or bitchy or going to come back and try to prove in superior to you.

You've never lived in the south have you?

Its hard to explain what we consider polite down here. Again in your scenario I would simply smile and say thank you, even if its someone who knows I don't celebrate that particular holiday. Hell when my own grandmother forgets my name and calls me by an aunt or a cousins name I don't even even correct her I just answer her and 5 minutes later I've forgotten she's called me Misty or Trisha.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok, so you're saying I should just give in to another religion bc it's rude not to? That seems pushy to me and rude. This is not just about strangers, it's people who I see regularly remembering and respecting what I participate in and acknowledging that without being nasty about it.

Quoting Roxygurl: Umm yeah I read the entire post. I gave you MY explanation as to why I think people act like that towards you. In your shoes I wouldn't correct anyone I'd just smile and say thank you.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I never know when Hanukkah is or how long it lasts so I would be afraid of to wish someone happy Hanukkah for fear of getting something wrong. But I would probably wish you a happy holiday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Happy Hanukkah!!

I think what you did is just fine.

It's not just Jewish, it's anyone who celebrates different than holier than thou people. Not everyone is a Christian and others need to realize that and be nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Not at all. Thank you for sharing all that. My heritage is Jewish so I value it more than the religion I appreciate your support and understanding of that

Quoting myshoes:

hmmm, when I say "merry Christmas" I have never given a thought to the reciever's religion. I've always said it as a greeting and probably a little bit as a proclomation of MY religion (which is a little off because Catholics are NOT known for "spreading the word"). I never hear anyone offer up "happy Hanukkah" (except my CLOSE JEWISH friends who I am seeing in celebration of their holiday) and I've always held the stereotye that Jewish people prefer to keep their religion to themselves. When I was a kid, I wondered if they were embarassed about their religion or something. I am an adult now and do not think that. I feel that Jewish comes with a heritage and most Christian religions are more willing to accept people in and welcome them to "join". 

Sorry, I think I have waivered from your topic. I hope you had a Happy Hanukkah and I hope that tomorrow is a nice day for you as well.

Quoting Anonymous: I see what you are saying and I have tried that approach bit I just get a confuses look and a shrug so I just let it go. I don't think any way I have handled it I have been rude but I do think it's rude to assume one's religion. Not you, but others in general

Quoting myshoes:

I am catholic and when someone tells me "happy Hanukkah" I say "thank you, I hope you have a Happy Hanukkah, too".  When I say Merry Christmas....I'd like to hear the same in return. Even if you are not celebrating my holiday, I hope you have a good day on the 25th.  Or maybe just say, "And a Happy Hanukkah, to you too." It will let them know that you are jewish (since that is important to you) and it won't sound so rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM
That's just old age kicking in, but anyway define the south... I live in FL. Regardless, people should respect all religions and heritages, but that's a perfect world I suppose.

Quoting Roxygurl: Lol. Honest question I promise you I'm not being snotty or bitchy or going to come back and try to prove in superior to you.

Its hard to explain what we consider polite down here. Again in your scenario I would simply smile and say thank you, even if its someone who knows I don't celebrate that particular holiday. Hell when my own grandmother forgets my name and calls me by an aunt or a cousins name I don't even even correct her I just answer her and 5 minutes later I've forgotten she's called me Misty or Trisha.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok, so you're saying I should just give in to another religion bc it's rude not to? That seems pushy to me and rude. This is not just about strangers, it's people who I see regularly remembering and respecting what I participate in and acknowledging that without being nasty about it.

Quoting Roxygurl: Umm yeah I read the entire post. I gave you MY explanation as to why I think people act like that towards you. In your shoes I wouldn't correct anyone I'd just smile and say thank you.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't consider it not respecting the religion. I don't keep up with my friends religions, heck the other day it dawned in me a family I babysit for is Jewish. I just forgot. I wouldn't take it to personal and I wouldn't say someone is disrespecting your religion, just see it as any other greeting and smile and move on.

Quoting Anonymous: That's just old age kicking in, but anyway define the south... I live in FL. Regardless, people should respect all religions and heritages, but that's a perfect world I suppose.

Quoting Roxygurl: Lol. Honest question I promise you I'm not being snotty or bitchy or going to come back and try to prove in superior to you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
That works! But the thing is, I'm not offended at all, just letting them know who and what I am. They cared enough, or so I thought, to say something, so I figure they will care enough to acknowledge and maybe correct it or just do nothing at all, but no, instead I get a nasty look like I'm the devil. Whatever, I'm having a wonderful holiday

Quoting lwalker270:

I'm just going to start saying, "Happy non-specific winter holiday."  I figure that way, I won't offend anyone by trying to be pleasant.

Whatthe172
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Roxy hit this one on the head.  When someone says Merry Christmas they are wishing you joy and happiness.  Say thank you and move on.  If I was in Isreal and someone said Happy Hanukkah, I'd say thank you and move on. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM
This. I am Jewish as well and don't celebrate Christmas, but I don't correct people. I just say, Thank you.

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I'd like to smack the one sitting beside me at times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)