Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people react so negatively to Jews?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've had so many people say Merry Christmas and I KINDLY reply with thank you and I'm Jewish, hoping for Happy Hanukkah or maybe just a smile, but instead I get some nasty look and usually a rude comment. Since when is being Jewish such a bad thing? I don't knock anyone for celebrating Christmas but damn do I feel like an outcast sometimes.

Update - since I keep having to repeat myself I would like to clarify that this is a general thing during the holidays, not just AFTER Hanukkah and it's not just strangers, but people I know as well. This means when people talk to me about the holidays and ask me, I explain that I'm Jewish so I don't have Christmas plans, they go silent and uncomfortable like it's a bad thing.

One more thing, I do say happy Hanukkah in return and I still get a dirty look. The entire point of my post is to find out why people don't like it when people are Jewish or simply don't celebrate Christmas. Since when is this so important?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (391-397):
mindful23
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont think so. Maybe they havent heard of happy hanukka like myself. I'll be oblivious too lol. Doesnt mean that i have something against Jews. They are just human beings to me.
Saurusmom8
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
People don't carry signs (well, sometimes they do..lol!).. telling others what they believe.

I would just smile and say Thank you because to me its the heart of the greeting. I don't go to other countries and get offended if people don't greet me in english. I smile. (Its universal) and try to learn their greeting and use it next time.

The reaction was not because you are jewish, its because you took what was intended as an innocent greeting and turned it into a correction.

If someone doesn't say Merry Christmas because they say Happy Holidays instead.. I am honored they wished me a good hearted greeting!!

The intention was to be kind. :)

There may be some who are truly biased and hate others but mostly that's a war we bring on ourselves. We either become hung up on every issue or we choose to bring peace and see that people truly are different and give often in their own ways and mean no harm.
Saurusmom8
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Happy Hannukah!!! :) I mean that sincerely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I like to keep conversations short. I would hope the person would just say thank you and same to you.

jky_67
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM
I always say Happy Holidays, it covers everybody. They can say whatever, however back to me, don't care, acknowledgement of holiday greeting is good enough (I'm not and I don't practice religion...grew up with Buddhist grandparents, Christian/Catholic parents).

My sister's Jewish friend posted on his FB yesterday, Happy Wednesday! I thought that was funny.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a Scrooge.

Don't judge things you don't know anything about.

Quoting Anonymous: Maybe they get a bad attitude because you dismissed a friendly greeting. Just say it back or smile. Not that hard. OR you could continue to be a scrooge (which is fine) but don't wonder why people have a bad reaction when they say "Merry Christmas!" and you ignore them or say "I'm not that big into Holidays." People don't know how to respond to that. What would you have them say? "Oh.. I'm sorry?"

Quoting RandRMomma:

I hate Christmas. People say "Merry Christmas" to me all of the time, and I don't respond. I know it's rude. But, I can't even muster up a fake smile this year. I'm not Jewish, and people get such bad attitudes when I tell them that I'm not big into the holidays. They act like I'm some kind of parasite or something. I don't get it.

skitskidaddle
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Id say: merry christmas and happy hanukah as well. Yashua dont care, he wasnt even born on christmas, go figure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)