Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people react so negatively to Jews?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've had so many people say Merry Christmas and I KINDLY reply with thank you and I'm Jewish, hoping for Happy Hanukkah or maybe just a smile, but instead I get some nasty look and usually a rude comment. Since when is being Jewish such a bad thing? I don't knock anyone for celebrating Christmas but damn do I feel like an outcast sometimes.

Update - since I keep having to repeat myself I would like to clarify that this is a general thing during the holidays, not just AFTER Hanukkah and it's not just strangers, but people I know as well. This means when people talk to me about the holidays and ask me, I explain that I'm Jewish so I don't have Christmas plans, they go silent and uncomfortable like it's a bad thing.

One more thing, I do say happy Hanukkah in return and I still get a dirty look. The entire point of my post is to find out why people don't like it when people are Jewish or simply don't celebrate Christmas. Since when is this so important?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
PeppermintyTea
by Emerald Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Idk. I've never had anyone say that to me, I guess I'd probably correct myself.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm Jewish and what really gets me is when someone asks me if I am ready for Christmas and I answer honestly with a, no we celebrate Hanukkah and it already was.  People look at me like I have two heads sometimes, like gasp there is another holiday.  Amazing in this day and age people think Christmas is the only holiday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM
4 moms liked this
I understand that you're Jewish and celebrate your own holidays.. but I really don't understand the big deal. When someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, it pretty much means "I wish you happiness and joy this holiday season." Why can't you simply accept it as their intentions instead of correcting them and expecting an exact phrase related to your religion? It almost seems like they're wishing you well.. and you're reply is "Because you aren't using MY terms your wishes are invalid."
The.Last.Rebel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Ok, again it's friends too, not just strangers. I guess I am expected to stay quiet and not celebrate my own.

Quoting Anonymous: This. I am Jewish as well and don't celebrate Christmas, but I don't correct people. I just say, Thank you.

Quoting Roxygurl: Umm yeah I read the entire post. I gave you MY explanation as to why I think people act like that towards you. In your shoes I wouldn't correct anyone I'd just smile and say thank you.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM
You don't have very good friends than.

Quoting Anonymous: Ok, again it's friends too, not just strangers. I guess I am expected to stay quiet and not celebrate my own.

Quoting Anonymous: This. I am Jewish as well and don't celebrate Christmas, but I don't correct people. I just say, Thank you.

Quoting Roxygurl: Umm yeah I read the entire post. I gave you MY explanation as to why I think people act like that towards you. In your shoes I wouldn't correct anyone I'd just smile and say thank you.

Quoting Anonymous: Did you read the entire post?! I said I reply with thank you then correct them. What is wrong with that? It's not just strangers, it's friends too and I correct them so they know better next time. I think that's fair.

Quoting Roxygurl: Its not that they are reacting rudely because you're Jewish it's because you're correcting them instead of just smiling and saying thank you.

Honestly if someone were to say happy Hanukkah to me I would just smile and say thank you, and the same to you. To me its not worth correcting a stranger who you'll forget in 5 minutes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Because thanks to Fox and militant Christians, when someone wishes you a "merry Christmas" it's no longer only just a kind greeting. It's a challenge and an opportunity for them to feel persecuted.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I love the Jews. You guys are God's chosen people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I get the intent, and I'm not broken, I just like to share my feelings too and don't expect to get a nasty response for it. Apparently alot of people missed the point of this post

Quoting The.Last.Rebel:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If you told me you were Jewish after I had told you Merry Christmas I would just say something like "I'm sorry, Happy Hanukkah!" Its not anyone's fault I didn't know you were Jewish. No one should be rude. 

Btw: Happy Hanukkah!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN