Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My mother is angry with me, was I out of line?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

My mother is now mad at me. I don't think I was out of line, what do you ladies think?

My son is 7 months old and breastfed only. I am a single mother and I live with my parents. My mother helps me out of the baby if I need it ( Showering or really anytime) Today my mother and I were watching Netflix on my laptop and my mom went and got a glass of milk. My son kept reaching for it so she gave him a sip, no big deal. He seemed to LOVE it and even kept saying MMMMMMMMM after every sip. After about 5 sips I was like okay no more buddy. My mom was like he likes it! It won't hurt him.

Then my mother and father started talking and they mentioned that I should give him some chocolate milk in his sippy cup, because he would love it. I told them that cows milk isn't recommened until age 1 and that I don't want the possibilty of my son preferring chocolate milk, over  my breastmilk. 

While we were watching a movie it kept becoming un synced so I paused it. While being paused I pulled up a web page about why you shouldn't give milk to a baby under 1 and started reading it. My mother FLIPPED OUT

She told me that she had 4 children and we all survived. She said that I wasn't feeding him food or milk because I didn't want him to grow up. She also said that I could raise my son on my own and that she wasn't helping anymore.. I told her gently that I didn't mean to offend her, I was just letting her know that I wasn't making it up.

The subject was dropped and we made up now, but I was wondering if you thought what I did was out of line? Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
well, the subject was dropped. Why did you bring it up again after?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

It was dropped after we got into the fight?

Quoting sandra_t00: well, the subject was dropped. Why did you bring it up again after?

ARACMOM
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Not at all
MissImperfect
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM
4 moms liked this

No I don't think so. He's your child and you will decide what's best for him.

ibelieveinpink
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM
No, you weren't out of line at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM
No. You have a point and it's your kid. But parents have a hard time backing off. Good luck.

Although pulling up that web page was a bit passive aggressive no? That's probably what really pissed her off.
SoKamele
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yes, you were.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

May I ask how you thought so?

Quoting SoKamele:

Yes, you were.

suzanneyea
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Let it go.

JessMc33
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
4 moms liked this
I think you did the right thing. Times have changed and there is new knowledge out there now. Our parents rode around in cars without seat belts and smoked their whole pregnancies too, doesn't mean we all should. Sharing information about what you want for your child will have to be done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN