Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what would you think if you got flowers on your first date?

my nephew is going on a first date with a woman he met online, i told him to take her some flowers and hubby said no, that is was to early for this and that it would set the bar to where she would expect flowers all the time and that it was old fashioned and that women don't take to it anymore. ladies who is right, my hubby or me? pls help ok now hubby is saying that its not a real first date, she invited him over to her house and she is going to cook him dinner, should he still show up with flowers?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
momto2crazykids
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM

yup that sounds like dh in a nutshell

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

He definitely should, especially since he is going to her home. Your dh sounds like the types we hear on here that do nothing considerate for their wives. 

MomTiara19
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I am old fashioned myself but I would wait on the flowers too.I would be more casual on the first date.Take her to a coffee shop and buy her a coffee.

Get to know her.The next date buy her flowers if he wishes.

jjames1990
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM
That is a good test actually. Take the flowers. Her reaction will tell him a lot. If she acts like its corney, doesnt care, then he knows she doesnt appreciate nice men.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Since he is going to her home he should take something. Maybe not flowers but wine or dessert or both :)
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM

If he's invited to her home for dinner, yes he should bring flowers and probably wine or something.

What would I think?  I'd think it was sweet.  It shows he's putting forth that extra effort.  I wouldn't expect flowers ALL the time.  Really, OP's DH?  LOL  "Don't do nice things for them, or they'll expect it!"  I bet he's one of those who deliberately messed up the laundry so you'd never trust him to do it again!  LOL

But yes, especially if he is going to her home, he should bring a gift.

AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM

i would laugh my ass off... sorry but NO one  brings flowers to a first date.

i would ALSO never do a 1st date at a house.  they never met and she is inviting him over.

this screams disaster all over.

do NOT bring the flowers

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I would love flowers on the first date.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM
It's a first date and he was invited to her home already? The whole thing is starting weird unless they have known Eachother as friends for awhile. I would be uncomfortable receiving flowers on a first date from a complete stranger unless we had been talking for awhile, and it seemed like maybe there could be something there. It's a little much in my opinion. Being that he is going to her home though, flowers and a dessert or bottle of wine is nice. Or just the wine or dessert even.
Octobersmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I'd think that he's a gentleman.  I've always found it sweet when I man does that and yet have never expected flowers after just because a man brought them on a first date.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Spoken like someone who's bitter that no man's ever thought enough of her to bring flowers let alone on a first date.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

i would laugh my ass off... sorry but NO one  brings flowers to a first date.

i would ALSO never do a 1st date at a house.  they never met and she is inviting him over.

this screams disaster all over.

do NOT bring the flowers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN