Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's a polite way to ask for money as a gift?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

I am soo, very greatful for all go the gifts my children recieved yesterday...we are beyond blessed with amazing family! Mine & DHarents are divorced & remarried...we have 9 christmas's, they get at least 6-10 gifts from each house...it's to much, they don't need it, they're overwhelmed! 

How can I simply tell people (when they ask what to get the boys) that money in their accounts would be the best gift for them? We are returning 13 gifts already, and we still have two christmas's to go. And call me selfish, but I like to play "Santa" I want them to be excited to open what they have under the tree Christmas morning & on Christmas Eve we do 2 christmas's, so my Xmas morning, they're getting doubles, or whatever...

now, I am very blessed to have family willing to buy gifts, I am NOT complaint about that! 

I was thinking about having a notebook, whichever family member wanted try put money in their account, can sign the notebook along with some well wishes, then when my boys are older they can have the notebook & see who "donated" "helped" buy their first car/first rent or mortgage payment...or whatever...

what do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Never ask for my as a gift.

It is the height of crassness.

Teach your children to smile and say thank you whether they have 10 of the same thing or hate it.

You can return gifts and put the money in their account.
codfish
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM
*money*....stupid auto-correct!

Quoting codfish: Never ask for my as a gift.

It is the height of crassness.

Teach your children to smile and say thank you whether they have 10 of the same thing or hate it.

You can return gifts and put the money in their account.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just teach your children to graciously accept their gifts.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM
You never ask for money/gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Torihoney5njn
by Kristy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Your suggestion is practical, but many people especially on the grandparent level want to see the grand kids actually opening presents for Christmas.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Don't think there is a polite way. Trust me, I would have loved money in their college funds instead of all the crap they got. But, oh well.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

There is not a polite way.  Don't do it.

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

There is no polite way to ask for money. It is ok to ask them to tone down the gifts since they get so much. Several years ago we asked our families to not buy so many gifts for dd because we had no room for them. Why are you returning 13 gifts?

WillowRayne
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
That's tacky
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM
There is no polite way. You could maybe ask people to buy less but im not sure that they would listen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured