Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Judge Orders Abusive Boyfriend To Write 'Boys Do Not Hit Girls' 5,000 Times As Punishment??

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 80 Replies

Judge Orders Abusive Boyfriend To Write 'Boys Do Not Hit Girls' 5,000 Times

by Lisa Fogarty

Remember when you were in grammar school and your crush pulled your ponytail because he didn't know how to speak to you? Your teacher probably scolded him -- maybe gave him a written assignment or kept him inside during recess to teach him a lesson. Yeah, this story is NOTHING like that, yet one misguided judge is pretty much treating it that way. The same judge who sentenced a former teacher to just 30 days in prison for raping a 14-year-old girl has ordered an abusive boyfriend to write "boys do not hit girls" 5,000 times as part of his (super-lenient) sentence. Unless he has to write this phrase over and over again in between scrubbing the bathrooms in a women's shelter, I fail to see how this isn't the silliest punishment ever. 

Pace Anthony Furguson reportedly punched his girlfriend in the face, fracturing it in three places. Thankfully, the 27-year-old will be forced to serve the maximum allowed jail time of 6 months and has to pay $3,800 toward his girlfriend's (ex-girlfriend's, let's hope) medical bills, but all I can think when I hear this is -- well, duh. This should be a no-brainer. Of course this guy should serve at least 6 months in prison and have to go in debt to pay for his girlfriend's shattered face -- if he hadn't been such an abusive jerk, the woman wouldn't need medical attention in the first place. 

If this is the maximum punishment allowed in the state of Montana, well then it is what it is, I guess. But when Judge G. Todd Baugh decided to add a silly writing exercise on top of it...well, he lost me with that one. Does he really consider this an appropriate punishment? 

Furguson is a grown man who doesn't need to learn that it isn't okay to punch a woman (or anyone, really). He simply needs to pay for his actions. A better way of handling this, and maybe knocking some sense into him, would be to force him to go to counseling AND perform a certain number of hours of community service at a woman's shelter. This judge's writing punishment comes off as a jokey way of dealing with a very serious problem. 

What do you think of the judge's writing exercise punishment?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissBoop76
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
The judge has NO business on the bench. Just because his wife/SO isn't a push over doesn't mean he should be allowing whimpy boys to get away with crap. That little boy should be spending a YEAR in prison along with the judge. See how that goes over and the JUDGE should pay ALL the medical bills for both victims.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Kinda think its funny. Hes spending time in jail, going into debt...he just added a little more ontop of it to make it worse for him. 

Dont see the problem here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't think it's silly.

If an idiot is going to act like an idiot & beat up on his gf.... he deserves to be shamed.

Remy11
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Ok having nothing to do with the judges past issues and in this alone I don't see a problem with it. If he got the maximum he could in the state and the money etc.. Why not have him have the annoyance of writing it out.. It may not deter an abusive person or make then think twice by at least is annoying.. And how long does he have to write it. I would have made it continuous or at least in a certain number if hour sessions. This way he would feel the fatigue.. The other thing is if he doesn't finish it then he can get further punished which would be great!
Sometimes this is exactly why judges do silly things since people put them off and don't take them seriously but then if it's not completed they can end up back in jail..

Also I understand about your scrubbing floors statement but I would think we wouldn't want him around other abused women
srm8824
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

"boys don't hit girls" seems so childish. He's a grown man, not a first grader. 

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Ok my biggest issue first is the idea of having him scrub floors at an abused women's shelter. These places are safe havens for women, why in the world would anyone allow an abuser inside? As a former volunteer, I do know that the location of (some) shelters are considered to be confidential as far as keeping abusers OUT. Now as far as this"judge" goes, he's a complete joke, but then again so is the justice system. However writing the same sentence 5, 000 times, now that might make the cowards hands hurt too much to even hold his dick to take a piss, much less hit anyone.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Is the writer of this article sincerely suggesting a convicted abuser spend time, in any capacity, at a women's shelter?!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

readyforhim
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

many times courts and people overall take abuse lightly, thinking its this one time that this person hit another when we know in our hearts it wasn't, someone finally got the courage to speak up or the abuse was worse than before...

ArisMom208
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Is the writer of this article sincerely suggesting a convicted abuser spend time, in any capacity, at a women's shelter?!

Yeah. That part is really stupid. However, when i was a teen and got in trouble for assault...they seriously let me do my community service at a battered womans shelter babysitting children. I don't really think a battered womans shelter should be on a list of places that you can do community service. 

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I disagree. I think he DOES need to learn that hitting women (or anyone else) is NOT ok. If he doesn't learn he'll just do it again and again. And if he is beyond learning basic human decency then he needs to be removed from society until he is no longer a threat. He is not a "boy" (not a man either for that matter) and he shouldn't be treated like a 5 year old. He broke someone's face, hopefully when he goes to prison he knows what it feels like to be abused by someone bigger and stronger than him. I seriously doubt writing something 5,000 times will change his behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured