Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE: You didn't join the military your husband did! so STFU!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm sick of this Military wife syndrome. Sorry ladies your husband joined the military not you! 

I've had it with my military wife SIL (My BIL wife) every time we're at a family function she has to go on and on about how hard it is to be a military wife and how we just don't understand the sacrifices she makes. 

We had DH's whole family over for Christmas (there's still here until New Years) my little sister just joined the Marines she was chatting with SIL and SIL was acting as if she was the one in the military it was rather insulting to my little sister. 

Later last night my other SIL was telling us about the struggle she's been going through now that her husband isn't with us anymore (he died earlier this year from brain cancer) She told us about the struggle watching him decline before her eyes.  He was only 25 when he died and they had only been married 3 years, so it was really tragic he was diagnosed in November of 2012 and died in October of this year.  We felt so bad for her because they lived in Vermont and we live in California so we couldn't come out to help her but once while he was sick. My husband was able to come go out twice to be with his sister  and show her support. The whole family hugged her and prayed with her on Christmas it was such a powerful feeling in the room. But of coarse BIL's wife had to be the center of attention. She ruined it by saying something like about understanding her struggle because she's a military wife. Everyone in the room including BIL wanted to slap her. 

I'm so sick of it! SIL is not the only one I see doing this. Just today in another group someone posted something about volunteer work and asked what kind of volunteer work the other ladies in the group are doing and this bitch says "i'm a military wife" Sorry bitch but you ain't changing anything and you're certainly not  a "volunteer" your a wife! 

Update- We found out yesterday that this poor suffering Military wife has been cheating on my BIL with her bestfriend's husband while he was in Afghanistan! So much for all her sacrifices and struggles! 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I am not so sure they know what they are getting into. I am not sure they expected their husbands to come home with PTSD. Also, I am sure the reality of having the kids 24/7 for months at a time, is pretty rough.

Quoting Anonymous:

but it doesn't mean they can use those scarifices to be the center on attention and seriously I don't see the scarifices she claimes to make. Also she is the one that encouraged him to join the military she knew exactly what she was getting into. I don't feel sorry for that bitch 

Quoting suzanneyea:

I don't know any army wives, but it sure seems like they make a shit load of sacrifices so their husbands can serve.

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM
5 moms liked this
What she did is wrong, but just like I have no idea what it is like to lose a husband to cancer, you have no idea what it is like to be a military spouse. Being a military spouse in incredibly difficult. It can not compare to anything else and shouldn't be. It's a unique burden and while it absolutely should not be used as a way to feel you have it worse than anyone else, the difficulty of it should not be discounted either.
our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

So rude of her to say! I hate wives that act like that and it sounds like she does it because of the person she is, but I can say we are almost encouraged to act that way in a sense. My husband told me their commander was addressing them and told them "I don't want to hear your spouses, children, parents, etc say they don't serve because everyone that has a family member in the service serves" and some people take that to heart. Lol. We go to a fast food restaurant by post and they always ask if I'm military and I tell them no, my husband is, and they look at me funny because I guess they figure I would say yes?

PrimmednPunked
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

P.S  Her using her "military spouse" title so she could be the center of attention after hearing your other SILs story was selfish.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
You sound jealous and resentful. Do you wish your husband was in? I can't figure out why her behavior would incite such vigor in you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

First of all they don't have any children. Second my BIL doesn't have PTSD even if he did SIL knew what she was getting into when she encouraged him to join the military. 

Quoting suzanneyea:

I am not so sure they know what they are getting into. I am not sure they expected their husbands to come home with PTSD. Also, I am sure the reality of having the kids 24/7 for months at a time, is pretty rough.

Quoting Anonymous:

but it doesn't mean they can use those scarifices to be the center on attention and seriously I don't see the scarifices she claimes to make. Also she is the one that encouraged him to join the military she knew exactly what she was getting into. I don't feel sorry for that bitch 

Quoting suzanneyea:

I don't know any army wives, but it sure seems like they make a shit load of sacrifices so their husbands can serve.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
What sacrifices? Honestly I just don't see any

Quoting suzanneyea:

ARACMOM
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in the military and I couldn't stand most military wives for that reason, especially the higher ranking ones. They think they wear their husband' stank .
JamieBue38
by Jamie on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I do respect military spouses but I agree with you, I would have smacked your SIL
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
42? Was he prior service?

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you I have a sil who talked by 42 yr old bil into joining the Army, she walks around all , "We are Army" and everywhere she goes she asks for the military discount.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)