Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! My kids wont pick up their brand new toys.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Yep, we had Christmas yesterday and guess what? They wont pick up their brand new toys and take them to their bedrooms. They are scattered in my livingroom. They wont help with any chores instead they are bickering with eachother and me. I cant take this anymore. My DH is at work and is a pig himself and wont in force anything. Im so tired of this life. My kids are 7 and 9 before you ask. Please help. What can I do to get them to pick up their own toys? PS: I took away their tablets and they still dont care. Help. They are essentially waiting for me to do it and Im not. Im putting my foot down.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Grab a trash bag, tell them they get 10 minutes to get the shit picked up or YOU'LL pick it up for good.

Only trash and stuff nobody wants gets left laying around like that ;)

AVE SATANAS!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

if they won't pick them up, you do it, put it into a trash bag and take them all to the end of the road. if they can't be responsible with their toys then they shouldn't have them

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This. I can promise you that you WILL have to bag it all up. Once. Then never again. All you will have to do is get the garbage bag.  Make them earn the toys back one at a time for with chores.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Grab a trash bag, tell them they get 10 minutes to get the shit picked up or YOU'LL pick it up for good.

amullenwy
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This!!!! It works trust me. Asking, cajoling, yelling, none of that works, all it does is reinforce the fact that you care more about getting the toys picked up than they do. You need to make them care about picking up their toys. This is a win-win for you. You will only have to pick up those toys once instead of a thousand times like you will if you let this go, and it will ensure that your kids care about cleaning up their toys from now on.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Thank you hun. I just announced this and they gasped. LOL I think this will work!!!!!!! Thank you, you just made my life so much easier.

grouchymama
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Get a puppy! A few chewed up toys and my kids (6,5,3) have learned to pick up. JK

I warn my kids that it's time to pick up. I put on their favorite high energy song and tell that any toys left in the living room when the song is over has a 1 week time out.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM
This

Quoting OwlNuggets:

LoveNaCupcake
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Looks like it's time to donate those new toys to someone who will take care of them.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Indeed, I hope you get the desired results you're looking for...Sometimes Mom's gotta be Mr. Bad Guy :\

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Thank you hun. I just announced this and they gasped. LOL I think this will work!!!!!!! Thank you, you just made my life so much easier.

AVE SATANAS!
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Take EVERYTHING away, put it in a closet, put a padlock on the door. Make them EARN one it back...one toy per week...by completing chores and following rules. If it gets left out again, or they don't do a chore, or are just disrespectful, back into the closet it goes. BE CONSISTENT and don't give in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)