Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? Updated

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

For Christmas DH bought me a 1 carat diamond ring. I've wanted one for a long time and it was so sweet and thoughtful of him.

The problem I'm having is that last year he wasn't really busy at work and we have a bunch of debt because of it. So I'm thinking about returning the ring. It was $6800 and he put it on credit. A big part of me thinks the responsible thing to do is return it and buy one after we are debt free, but I don't know how to tell him that. I think he will be heartbroken as it really is a gift from his heart.

wwyd? Woukd you just keep quit and keep the ring? Or would you tell him you want to return it?

updated: I did talk to him. I told him that I'm not comfortable with keeping the ring right now. He was a little disappointed but we compromised and said we would revisit getting me a new ring in a year or two. I'm happy because I know I will eventually get my dream ring, but I won't have to stress about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveNaCupcake
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest sitting down and discussing this. Ask him how he plans to pay the ring off along with all the other things. I wouldn't rush out and return it without discussing a plan first.

amullenwy
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

You two need to talk about it. Buying a big gift like that on credit is a big financial decision that affects both of you, it's not really just a gift if it's something you will have to pay off. Tough situation....

over40bride
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I agree with the other about sitting down and discussing it.

BTW Would love to see a pic! :D

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, I would be pissed if my husband spent $6,800 on a credit card, for a non necessity, knowing we were already in debt. That ring would be going back, hurt feelings or not. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

oh wow, what a dilemma. I think it was irresponsible of him to purchase a ring on credit, when you two are already far in debt. 

How much are his monthly payments? Maybe he figured in his payments and decided he could still afford the ring while you guys are repairing your debts?

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

wow I'd be ticked if my DH spent the that much money when we were in debt. It was sweet of him really but i'd be ticked. I would def. sit down with him. can you return rings after they have been bought?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Pthis was the best pic I could take on my ipad.

Quoting over40bride:

I agree with the other about sitting down and discussing it.

BTW Would love to see a pic! :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yes we have 30 days to return it.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

wow I'd be ticked if my DH spent the that much money when we were in debt. It was sweet of him really but i'd be ticked. I would def. sit down with him. can you return rings after they have been bought?

JanineDeer
by Janine on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. well, think of HOW much that ring is going to end up REALLY costing in deed, if he just put it on the credit card!!!! Wow... it could end up being an 15,000 ring. 

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It's irresponsible as hell  to buy a $6800 diamond ring when you have a "mountain of debt." Is this how you got that mountain? You  need to talk to your husband who makes lousy financial decisions, tell him you will return the ring. You both need to grow up and meet your  financial obligations. "Heartbroken," my aunt Fanny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured