Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What advice will you give your kids about marriage?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my kids are little but today I got to thinking about what I would tell my daughter about marriage ( not sure what I would tell my son). I was just curious if you daughter or your son was getting married what advice would you give?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM
3 moms liked this

My daughter is getting married in about six weeks.  I told her that the difference between in-laws and outlaws is that outlaws are wanted.  

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I told my kids to not get married before they were 25. 2 out of 3 listened to me!

JustMeKat
by Kat on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM

It would depend on what age my sons where, I defiantly don't want them getting married to young, now if by chance she is pregnant...yes he is getting married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I would tell my daughter it is not easy, marriage is work. Right now he is the center of your world but you both will change and kids will change your love. It will take time and work. Fighting is normal, just make up, anger is normal just make sure love is still there. Marriage is forever so if you want something easy do not get married, but if you love this man enough to cry for him, hate him, and still love him then marry him. 

Of course I would not say this the day of the wedding but I do think it is important for my daughter to know how serious marriage is and how hard yet wonderful it can be. I love Dh but there have been times I would have ran for the hills but I committed to marriage and I will not leave him. And he loves me, we promised we would not divorce ( we both came from broken homes where a parent left us, my mom left me and his dad left him). No one told us marriage was hard, no one warned us how difficult it is but with our determination we will make it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Quoting csxt99:

My daughter is getting married in about six weeks.  I told her that the difference between in-laws and outlaws is that outlaws are wanted.  

Haha interesting advice!

ballerina18
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to think that our 6 year old dd will learn what a good relationship looks like by watching us. I don't have any specific advice at this point in my life.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM
To love their spouse. To be there for each other. Not to complain about things your spouse doors to others, because others like to meddle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Quoting JustMeKat:

It would depend on what age my sons where, I defiantly don't want them getting married to young, now if by chance she is pregnant...yes he is getting married.

Not judging but just curious you would want your son to marry a girl if he knocked her up? What if they were not right for each other?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Quoting wooly:

I told my kids to not get married before they were 25. 2 out of 3 listened to me!

Why that particular age?

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

i hope my kids will know my thoughts about marriage before they are engaged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured