Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can NCP have input\rights when it comes to medical decisions?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
lets keep this short and sweet i am NCP i pay support and half all medical. My DD is 7 and was taken to the dr right before christmas for some icky congestion in her chest. fine. great. who cares. however, her dr. mentioned to her father that at her 8 year old physical (in july) she should go ahead and gt the guardasil vaccine...i am not comfortable with this at all. not that i am against vaccines.....just thos one is so new...and at 8??? i thought they were not getting it until like 13 or older?? anyway her dad doesnt see the problem and is like well the dr said she should have it. (its not required for school etc) so he is just go ith whatever the dr says. Do i have any way to stop this? i would really rather wait until she is older to get this vaccine....she lives in a different state as well.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess it would depend what your court order states.
stormystar15
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM
With joint custody yes if he has sole and you just have visits no.
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

In our parenting plan it states that all non emergency medical decisions are 50/50.  I feel that since the vaccine is available after the age of eighteen then you should be able to say, let's wait til she's older. 

For the first time...I am not looking forward to Christmas...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
it really doesnt say anything specific to a situation like this..in regards to medical it says he keeps the insurance on her (his job had better insurance than mine) but i must reimburse half of the monthly cost, half of anything not covered, half of any co pays etc. it also states i have a right to her medicl files and to be present at all dr visits if i choose to be. thats basically it.

Quoting TheDoctorsWife: I guess it would depend what your court order states.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If you wanted to make decisions for your child you should have fought for custody!  Unless it's in your court order to make decisions it's all his choice!

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
What does the CO state?
TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Sounds to me like he has the right to make the decisions since it only says you can be present or request the files

Quoting Anonymous: it really doesnt say anything specific to a situation like this..in regards to medical it says he keeps the insurance on her (his job had better insurance than mine) but i must reimburse half of the monthly cost, half of anything not covered, half of any co pays etc. it also states i have a right to her medicl files and to be present at all dr visits if i choose to be. thats basically it.

Quoting TheDoctorsWife: I guess it would depend what your court order states.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I think you should state your thoughts and opinions. Divorced parents should really learn how to cooperate!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM
that is our situation. especially since they live in another state. i get her in the summer, and at christmas usually (she requested to stay with her dad this year since SM just had a baby and DD is super excited) i can also get her on any school break at least a week long if i pay all travel expenses to and from. for summer ad christmas we split travel expenses

Quoting stormystar15: With joint custody yes if he has sole and you just have visits no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I would research the vaccine. I have heard there are some very bad side effects associated with the vaccine
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured