Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Store clerks correcting kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had to take my kids to a boutique today to exchange some of my elderly mother's presents. The place was a zoo and the exchanges were taking a long time. My boys (6 and 3) were running around in the not busy area that had woman's swim suits. 

A store clerk went over to them, even though I was 10 feet away and had been talking to them, and said "where's your parents? Stop running right now!" and glared at them. I went and got them, losing my place in line and asked her to please address me with any issues regarding my children. She just looked at me and said "fine, please make sure your children don't run, since it's inappropriate and disturbing other customers" and walked off.

I asked to speak to the owner, and apparently that's the owner's daughter. What do you think? Was she out of line in speaking to them?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM
No. My dh works at a furniture store and has to tell kids all the time to stay off the furniture and no running allowed. Store rules and if parents don't like it they can leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

No. When I worked in retail we were told to tell kids to stop running. Hell, I do it even when I'm a customer. I got pretty mad a few times because these stupid kids were throwing balls over the aisle and it almost hit me.

CTC7122006
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

NO, she wasn't...if they  (or someone else) get hurt, they can be held liable. As long as she didn't physically touch your children, there was nothing out of line. I had that happen to me in a bridal salon, my daughter was trying on a flower girl dress and didn't want to take it off so she was twirling around in it and the consultant actually, took the dress off my daughter while I was talking to my mom about something...no she was not naked and yes I was watching her, I talked to the manager and told her if the lady touches my child again I would be pressing charges. My daughter was not running around or anything, she was twirling in a circle in fron of a mirror

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
You were out of line. If the kids made a mess of the racks are you going to clean it up? Nope, you'd say sorry and leave the mess to the clerks. Teach your kids to respect property that not theirs, it's a store not a park.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

She should have HAD TO tell your children how to behave, it should have been taken care of already. By their mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

i dont blame them.. I blame you

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM
In the grocery store I work at I'm constantly correcting kids, even if their parents are right there.
I work in the play area though. ;)

It sounds like she said a little rudely but otherwise she had every right not to tell them not to run.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

No she wasn't out of line - you were for allowing them to run around.  FFS.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
If your children had been kept at your side, where they belong, there would have been no need for her to ask "Where are your parents?" Control your children like other responsible parents do.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Watch your kids and don't let them run around in the store. They have every right to say something ifthe kids are doing something that can cause issues in the store or disruption.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)