Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Store clerks correcting kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had to take my kids to a boutique today to exchange some of my elderly mother's presents. The place was a zoo and the exchanges were taking a long time. My boys (6 and 3) were running around in the not busy area that had woman's swim suits. 

A store clerk went over to them, even though I was 10 feet away and had been talking to them, and said "where's your parents? Stop running right now!" and glared at them. I went and got them, losing my place in line and asked her to please address me with any issues regarding my children. She just looked at me and said "fine, please make sure your children don't run, since it's inappropriate and disturbing other customers" and walked off.

I asked to speak to the owner, and apparently that's the owner's daughter. What do you think? Was she out of line in speaking to them?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Replies (571-575):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Maybe she was just having a bad day ... Like I said I understand both sides of the story

Quoting Seagodess: There is a time and place for children to run around and have fun. In a store is not it.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm torn with this one. Yes you shouldn't have been letting them run around a store but also it's like saying 'control your children from being happy running and just being children' they are only young once then it's gone forever - it's sad how we parents from young age suppress happiness excitement and childhood and add adult crap we have to deal with *sigh I'm guilty of it. I'm too strict on my son just to make others comfortable instead of just letting him be a normal boy - but normal isn't normal anymore so I can't say what you should have done ... Maybe you were just having a bad day. Been there! Lol
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting slb235:

probably you, but I don't really care to remember usernames.

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting slb235:

There are some EXTREMELY whiny, wimpy moms in this community.  They act like telling children to stop running "rudely" is the end of the world.  The clerk may as well have taken out a belt and beat them senseless it was so horrible.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Lol would not surprise me. *I believe the poster below did a post on bullying before and was torn to shreds for her opinion as it related to her own son, and she just came off as a neglectful parent, so yeah... lol.

Quoting slb235:

Perhaps neglectful parents are more sensitive/delusional than authoritative parents.

Which poster is this referring to?

Me?!! LOL!! My son is 45 years-old, and not a bully. 

Wow her comment went right over your,head dear and into a world of delusions in your mind! Nowhere was she referring to your son! Lol. 

Actually, this exchange seems to have gone over your head but you wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to bully, now, would you?

Pray tell, how is this conversation over my head, lol. I'm dying to know how your interpretation!!! Lol

Oh forgive me I can't stop laughing!!!! 

Has your son had you tested for dementia? I suggest you make an appointment soon... really soon, and I say that in all seriousness, because you clearly are having some serious issues here in this post! 

You aren't interested in anything (at this point), but making personal attacks, and have sunk to the level of using my son to do so.

Some of the worst message board bullies that I have encountered keep people's children (even their adult children) off limits.

Is this the type of person whom you really want to be, Jess? 

Lmao you are so beyond help!!! First dear.. YOU have no idea what you are talking about. Nor what I said or what I meant. For the sake of everyone, particularly yourself, just stop while you are ahead!!!!

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Oh I'm not saying parents don't have their bad days, but let's face it, that's no excuse not not step up and take responsibility by apologizing for her children's behavior, rather than threatening to talk to a manager and try to pretend you (in general) did nothing wrong.

And then go go and post it publicly like this means she's hafd time to mellow and think it through and still thinks she was innocent in what took place, and I think that's the bigger problem here. 

Quoting Anonymous: I see both sides. Like I said, maybe she was having a bad day ... I know Iv had those days

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous: I'm torn with this one. Yes you shouldn't have been letting them run around a store but also it's like saying 'control your children from being happy running and just being children' they are only young once then it's gone forever - it's sad how we parents from young age suppress happiness excitement and childhood and add adult crap we have to deal with *sigh I'm guilty of it. I'm too strict on my son just to make others comfortable instead of just letting him be a normal boy - but normal isn't normal anymore so I can't say what you should have done ... Maybe you were just having a bad day. Been there! Lol

Being a normal child means there are opportunities to run and be themselves and other times where you have to know when to be quiet. It has ALWAYS been this way. As a parent it's our job to not only teach them when to be quiet and respectful, but also to make time for them to just be kids too. But the parent must know when and were these are appropriate at. 

If op HAD to go to this boutique for an exchange she should have told her children how to behave appropriately before entering the store, and considered that afterwards they would need to blow off some energy and taken them somewhere where they could have accomplished that, perhaps to a kids open gym, or out sledding, or an indoor playground or even just home to run around outside for a while.

BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting slb235:

probably you, but I don't really care to remember usernames.

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting slb235:

There are some EXTREMELY whiny, wimpy moms in this community.  They act like telling children to stop running "rudely" is the end of the world.  The clerk may as well have taken out a belt and beat them senseless it was so horrible.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Lol would not surprise me. *I believe the poster below did a post on bullying before and was torn to shreds for her opinion as it related to her own son, and she just came off as a neglectful parent, so yeah... lol.

Quoting slb235:

Perhaps neglectful parents are more sensitive/delusional than authoritative parents.

Which poster is this referring to?

Me?!! LOL!! My son is 45 years-old, and not a bully. 

Wow her comment went right over your,head dear and into a world of delusions in your mind! Nowhere was she referring to your son! Lol. 

Actually, this exchange seems to have gone over your head but you wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to bully, now, would you?

Pray tell, how is this conversation over my head, lol. I'm dying to know how your interpretation!!! Lol

Oh forgive me I can't stop laughing!!!! 

Has your son had you tested for dementia? I suggest you make an appointment soon... really soon, and I say that in all seriousness, because you clearly are having some serious issues here in this post! 

You aren't interested in anything (at this point), but making personal attacks, and have sunk to the level of using my son to do so.

Some of the worst message board bullies that I have encountered keep people's children (even their adult children) off limits.

Is this the type of person whom you really want to be, Jess? 

Lmao you are so beyond help!!! First dear.. YOU have no idea what you are talking about. Nor what I said or what I meant. For the sake of everyone, particularly yourself, just stop while you are ahead!!!!

What you said - and what you meant - and what you do is there for all to see.

You can back-peddle all you like, but you are fooling no one - not even yourself.

I'd tell you to stop bullying, but it won't do a bit of good; the evidence of that will be seen in your future posts. 

JZB
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM
They have every right to expect your children not to cause a disturbance
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)