Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my kids' reaction expected? For Christmas, my 5-yr old daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

had a three-level doll house that took my husband and me 4 hrs to assemble.  It is truly posh with an elevator, piano with sound, a pool and much furniture.  She has only played with it for a few times since Christmas day.  My son received a battery-powered car.  He once in a while remembers it.  When he gets in it, I can tell he truly enjoys it. Of course because of his age, I am holding the steering wheel while he puts his foot on the gas pedal.

I am surprised that they didn't want to play with their Christmas gift all the time.  Am I being over-sensitive?

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (71-80):
DisabledVet
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

You boght toys that they didn't really want. Did they make a list of what they wanted?

JingD
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Overwhelmed and distracted, all possible.  Kids have short attention spans for sure.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Hmm maybe there was a certain doll she was wanting? or maybe they are just over whelemd with their new stuff combined with their old stuff? 

Quoting JingD:

I am not sad or upset, just wondering why they reacted this way because I know DD loves dolls and dollhouse and DS loves cars.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Aww that would make me sad... But my kid has been playing with everything he got for Christmas non stop. He goes from the legos, to the art case, to the remote controlled car back to the art case back to the legos lol. 

JingD
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

What do they play with?

Quoting JackieGirl007:

My kids never really played with toys. Weird!

JingD
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM

They are 5 and 2, not writing a wish lsit yet. 

Quoting DisabledVet:

You boght toys that they didn't really want. Did they make a list of what they wanted?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Your being over-sensitive. 

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, totally normal. This year I made a point to buy very little actual toys because they have too many toys as it is. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes those big toys aren't as fun as they would appear. I like to get plain toys that use imagination more.they usually get more play time
JanineDeer
by Janine on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It's normal.   IF she gets someone to play in that dollhouse with her, she would play with it for hours.   But, really,  I also stopped buying "toys" for my grandkids..... I get them craft kits to do, they like that. AND I have begun to give them savings bonds and money.   They might not be impressed with these right now, but trust me, from experience, when that time comes when they are 18 and they turn in all the  bonds- they think WOW i wish ALL had done this!

JackieGirl007
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My first two are 20 months apart. They played with each other mostly doing active stuff. I mean they did play lego's sometimes and toys for maybe a few minutes but toys were not their favorite things for sure.

Quoting JingD:

What do they play with?

Quoting JackieGirl007:

My kids never really played with toys. Weird!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Lol with kids you can never tell. One year when my daughter was 5 she received a lot of toys she wanted for Christmas and that little stinker played a rented wii game the whole day! She was never much of a toy kid though. I still bought them for years and I don't know why.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN