Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my kids' reaction expected? For Christmas, my 5-yr old daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

had a three-level doll house that took my husband and me 4 hrs to assemble.  It is truly posh with an elevator, piano with sound, a pool and much furniture.  She has only played with it for a few times since Christmas day.  My son received a battery-powered car.  He once in a while remembers it.  When he gets in it, I can tell he truly enjoys it. Of course because of his age, I am holding the steering wheel while he puts his foot on the gas pedal.

I am surprised that they didn't want to play with their Christmas gift all the time.  Am I being over-sensitive?

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (81-90):
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM
my youngest is just over whelmed by the toys we got het shes 1. my 6 and 8yr have played with all their toys. they havent put down their kindle or the wii u unless I pry them out of their hands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PookaboosMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
She got a video game, some movies, a ton of arts and crafting stuff, a kids table for her and ds, and clothes. Oh and a bicylce

Quoting N_maricle: Just curious, what do you get instead? My six year old is getting to that point. All he wants is video games, not toys.

Quoting PookaboosMom: I quit buying my 7 year old toys all together, she never plays with them.

Ds is 2 and the only thing he plays with from Xmas and his other toys is his Hot Wheels
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Thank you for your advice.  With the interest rate so low, I have not bothered buying bonds for my kids. Is the rate for savings bonds pretty attractive?

Quoting JanineDeer:

It's normal.   IF she gets someone to play in that dollhouse with her, she would play with it for hours.   But, really,  I also stopped buying "toys" for my grandkids..... I get them craft kits to do, they like that. AND I have begun to give them savings bonds and money.   They might not be impressed with these right now, but trust me, from experience, when that time comes when they are 18 and they turn in all the  bonds- they think WOW i wish ALL had done this!

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Thanks for confirming it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your being over-sensitive. 

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

We never want to disappoint our kids, don't we?

Quoting Anonymous: Lol with kids you can never tell. One year when my daughter was 5 she received a lot of toys she wanted for Christmas and that little stinker played a rented wii game the whole day! She was never much of a toy kid though. I still bought them for years and I don't know why.

caito
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, this is 100% normal. My daughter is also 5. She got a lot of toys, but only plays with them a little bit each day. Kids this age have a short attention span. I bet if you make it easily accessible and just leave it alone, she'll play with it on her own :)

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Kids are so wired nowadays.  I don't know if it is that good for them.

Quoting mommyof11050307: my youngest is just over whelmed by the toys we got het shes 1. my 6 and 8yr have played with all their toys. they havent put down their kindle or the wii u unless I pry them out of their hands.

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Thank you for confirming.  Kids are hard to decipher.

Quoting Raeann11:

Normal

JingD
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Short attention span is for sure.

Quoting caito:

Yep, this is 100% normal. My daughter is also 5. She got a lot of toys, but only plays with them a little bit each day. Kids this age have a short attention span. I bet if you make it easily accessible and just leave it alone, she'll play with it on her own :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN