Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you home alone when servicemen come by?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 612 Replies
3 moms liked this

My husband always makes it a point to be home when a serviceman (I'd say serviceperson but that's rare) has to come around. I will admit I find it kind of scary to be alone in my home with someone I don't know, especially a man. (And no, I don't own a gun and even if I did I wonder if I would be able to use it properly in an emergency.)

I just read this in the Enquirer about a serviceman attacking a woman in her home because she argued with him about how well he did his job. He killed her and tried to burn her body to destroy the evidence, but was caught.

Are you ever alone when a serviceman comes by? Why do you feel safe or unsafe doing that?

**edit, additional links to the story:

Huff Post

ABC Local

**edit 2, my stance quoted from one of the pages:

"I don't think you have to be a paranoid freak to want to feel safe in certain situations. If you feel better with someone there or with a weapon, in a car with a seatbelt on, on a bike with a helmet on, mace in your purse when you're out at night, then that's okay. I don't think anyone should stay hidden in a corner of the room for their whole life or anything."

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM
13 moms liked this

I prefer dh to be here, but sometimes I have no choice. I always text him when they come and then when they leave so he knows how things went.

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I have before.... but now that I have an SO....No. I had a scary moment before with a cable guy.
Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Almost always.
LoveMeChain
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM

If you don't mind talking about it, what happened?

Quoting Bluescorpia: I have before.... but now that I have an SO....No. I had a scary moment before with a cable guy.

5babies757
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
24 moms liked this
I'm always home alone and never thought anything of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Dh is home for that. He would never be ok with my letting a person into the house to work while he wasn't here, just in case.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Yes, my husband works a lot. We are in Europe so sometimes I don't even speak the same language as the servicemen. I hadn't really thought about it before, but after reading this I will probably feel unsettled. :/

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

i have a big enough family / everyone my mom knows so im never alone with an actual stranger.

copperked
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm the friend that waits with my other friends when they don't want to be home alone with a service man. I'm just as capable as any man when it comes to defending myself and others. Well, maybe not like a Navy Seal, but most men.
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I've been home alone when a serviceman was here setting something up. But I always let my dh know when they were due to be here and then text with him while they were here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)