Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What it takes to have in home daycare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I want to open one. What to look for? I am also not native english speaker, would it be a difficulty. Where to find customers, any experience, advice? Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Have to find out your state laws about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Depends. Ours isn't registered because she gets enough through word of mouth and doesn't want to take vouchers. But generally that is a good place to start. Check with your county about what you need to do to get approved.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Look up your state laws on babysitting and daycares. For example, in Missouri I can do daycare for up to 4 kids not related to me (so I can have any number of my own related kids and still watch four.)

If I wanted to watch more than 4, I would need to get licensed by updating my home, getting certifications, and having inspections.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM

All I know is that I grew up in a home that was an in home daycare and I will NEVER do it myself. 

TheDoctorsWife
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Start by finding out your state regulations.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM
You'll have to look at your state laws, it varies widely. Most have a number of children in addition to your own you can legally watch without being licensed. In Missouri it was 4. In Colorado it's 1. More than that you need to be licensed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

All I know is that I grew up in a home that was an in home daycare and I will NEVER do it myself. 

Why, was it bad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM

As a kid, yea. I felt like I lost my mom because she was always caught up in the other kids. There was never much peace or quality time. Just not something I want for my kids or family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Why, was it bad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a pain in the a$$. There's a lot of paperwork involved. I did licensed daycare in my home for 4 years. Getting parents to pay gets old after a while. NY state tells you what you have to clean with. They change regulations frequently. I had kids in my care from 7 am to 7 pm. No major cleaning, laundry, showering, paperwork is to be done during the day. But you can't have dishes in your sink or more than a half full garbage can. No table cloths on the table. Oh and the background check starting from the day you were born. 30 hours of training every year that you pay out of pocket for. Oh and cannot forget Union Dues. I did it because I love working with kids.
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Check licensing requirements for your state. I put my profile on sittercity and care.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN