Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids and pop (or soda)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
I was just sitting here thinking about my horrible pepsi addiction. I drink probably 2-3 cans a day. Growing up I was never allowed to have any kind of pop. Ever. It was only for adults. So, when I moved out I started drinking every damn day. To the point now, I realize I am doing the same to my kids. My two oldest are 17 months apart oldest is six, middle is 4. I'm thinking of letting them share 1 can a day if they don't get into trouble. The same as I do with candy/sweets. 1 piece after dinner if they were well behaved all day. My reasoning is that I don't want them to end up like me. Slurpping can after can daily as soon as they are adults because they were always told no. Thoughts on this? Yes I know its very bad for you and blah blah blah but think of it from my POV please.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hello07
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Umm I personally don't like rewarding behavior with food.

But I mean whatever you wanna do I guess.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I was allowed to have soda as a kid. I am a diet pepsi addict now.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
My kids are 7 and 2 and don't get soda. My son had had some without my knowledge and hates it. My daughter is 2 and has never had it.

I just don't see a need at their age.
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I wouldn't do it every day. But every now and then is not going to kill them. My 3 year old gets soda with dinner on occasion.
sara82lee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
My kiddos get one soda per week. They are good at policing themselves and so far haven't tried to push that. They usually save it for the weekend.
Hello07
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I get the whole deny it thing though. Kinda like alcohol. In countries were alcohol isn't taboo and there is no crazy age limit they often see lower rates of alcoholism.

So if the kids are seein you do it but thy can't, I get why tht could cause bad outcomes.

Have you ever thought of giving it up??
teddysmama09
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I make soda a special treat for my four year old. He gets a small soda when we go to a resteraunt or has some sips of our when we get fast food. We don't keep soda on the house, but it's not so forbidden that it becomes enticing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

We had the one can a day rule growing up and that did not steer me to overindulging..... stress did.  At their ages maybe once in awhile as a treat but not every day.  DD has free access to soda and she still chooses to drink milk or water.

PookaboosMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I let my kids have a little here and there. I don't drink it (grew up having at least a can a day). Dh and my step kids were never allowed it as kids and now as adults they drink it like crazy.

The only thing that I really gave began restricting it more with Dd is it is so bad for their teeth, and Dh's side of the family has horrible teeth that Dd has inherited
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My two oldest only get a small amount on rare occassions....like an izze or something. They are 9 & 4. Youngest never has. Soda is awful and it isnt allowed in my home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN