Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

overweight dd

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
My dd turns 10 tomorrow. Today I took her shopping and she's a 16-18+. She is the only child overweight out of 4. Dh is a large build, 6'5" and 270 I'm 5,10" and around 150. Dd is 4'11" she is the tallest in her grade, she has always been built big and never a stick or scrawny. Our other kids are tall but but thin built. She has no medical issues (blood work and so have have been done) she is active does soccer and cheer both 9-10 months of the year. Her diet is the same as our other kids , protein, vegetables, fruit , carbs. But she continues to gain weight, Idk how to help her. She is VERY active and eats healthy. The few treats she gets are 95% homemade and I follow a diabetic diet (per dh) she is not sickly and on no meds other than a few supplements all my children take.( b multi and calcium)

Anybody else have a heavy child with no cause?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Bumping for advice
Bitch.please
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM
My son was this way, he's now 13 and thinner.. I think she will slim up during puberty, he did.
.strawberry.
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Calories are calories. The quality of her diet isn't relevant to her weight gain. You could lose weight eating nothing but Oreos, see what I'm saying? Start givng her a little less.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I so hope so. My older dd started right before she turned 11 and grew 4 inches that year. I feel so lost trying to help her she eats well and is very active. Her pedi can't find any reason for her weight gain other than hormones. He did blood work and tested thyroid but nothing.

Quoting Bitch.please: My son was this way, he's now 13 and thinner.. I think she will slim up during puberty, he did.
KME3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Usually people who play soccer are thicker in the legs - very built muscles there, large thighs and calves. Soccer is a very physically demanding sport, requiring both stamina and lots of strength. On the other end of the spectrum, for example, long distance runners often have longer, leaner muscles. Once they get to speed, the can go for quite a while; there's no other real exercises involved (stopping/starting, diving, lurching, pivot, crouch, kick, etc).

Odds are that your dd's size can be contributed to decent amounts of chub and muscle both. Visually it can look alarming, but I bet you anything she can leg press more weight than most of the people here. She likely hasn't hit puberty yet, or her next major growth spurt (probably around 12-13). If she stays active and continues eating that healthy, her proportions should even out and the flab should start giving way to a bit of muscle tone. Sometimes hormones can cause weight gain in preparation for a big spurt.

I wouldn't worry terribly much, mama. She's healthy with no issues and you're doing a great job. She'll even out. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Actual exercise. And stricter diet. Sounds like she isn't active enough in the right way.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM

My children go through phases.....they're all really large boned and very tall and broad.  They grow out and then up, then repeat.  They're all the same though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I've tracked it because of her weight gain. She eats between 1000 and 1200 a day. All high quality. She does soccer 3 days a week for 2- 4 hrs and cheer 2 days for 2 hrs. On top of school activities. When she's up 16 hrs a day and 2-4 of them equal jogging I can't reduce her I take, seriously chicken ,egg whites, and veggie are most of her intake.

Quoting .strawberry.: Calories are calories. The quality of her diet isn't relevant to her weight gain. You could lose weight eating nothing but Oreos, see what I'm saying? Start givng her a little less.
KrissyKC
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Has she ever been screened for latent allergies? Sometimes a hidden allergy, like to corn, can cause unexplained weight gain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)